Factorio is a complex game. For some, even the base game, which is vast mechanically is not enough. Like most games, Factorio has mods, which adds more functionality and mechanics to the base game. But while many are aware that mods exist in Factorio, not many know how to install these mods. Compared to other games though, installing mods in Factorio is pretty simple.
How to Install Mods – Factorio
Mod installation in Factorio can be done in two ways. One includes installing the mods directly within the game, and the other method is installing the mods manually, downloading them from a third-party.
Because Factorio isn’t yet accepted in the Steam Workshop community, the developers though it would be best to create a modding community, in which players can share their own mods and download others.
The first method, is installing the mods from inside Factorio, and it goes as follows:
- Launch Factorio.
- In the main menu, go to Mods.
- Hit the ‘Install’ button, and there will be a list of available mods.
- Find a mod that you fancy, and then install it.
Other than that, the mods can be also enabled and disabled in this menu. Like I said, installing mods in Factorio is far simpler than other titles on the market. It doesn’t take that long to install a mod, granted, it is based on the size of the mod.
However, if you want to download and install the mod from a third-party site, or the official Factorio mods website, then the installation goes as follows:
- Open the official Factorio mods site and find a mod that you like, or download one from elsewhere.
- Once it has been downloaded, go to this path if you’re on PC: C:UsersUserAppDataRoamingFactoriomods. If you’re on other platforms, go to these paths:
- Linux: ~/.factorio/mods
- Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Factorio/mods
- Then, drag and drop the downloaded mod file. Do not unzip the file, instead transfer the whole zip to thee mods folder.
There is no variability in terms of installation of different mods in Factorio, unlike other games. So, these methods of installation are the same for whichever mods you choose to install.
READ NEXT : Factorio: How to Repair