Mending, Silk Touch, Efficiency, and more—here are the best tool enchantments in Minecraft for you to choose from.
For a long time, enchantments have been a core part of Minecraft. But the problem is that there are so many enchantments to choose from, it becomes more and more confusing which enchantments would best suit a specific tool when given free rein. And with tools such as axe and pickaxe, adding the right enchantment would be your best option as a survival player. But obtaining enchantments are expensive since it costs experience points in order to enchant tools and equipment, therefore this guide will show you the best tool enchantments in Minecraft so you won’t have to worry about wasting experience points enchanting the wrong tools.
Best Enchantments for Axe
- Mending: The Mending Enchantment allows you to repair the durability of an axe in exchange for experience points. Although chopping down logs and wood may not drop any experience points, this can be easily repaired when receiving experience points from other sources such as mining.
- Unbreaking: Unbreaking increases the chances of the player to use the tool without losing durability. This is especially useful for gathering large amounts of wood.
- Sharpness: The Sharpness enchantment may not be meant for an axe, but it can increase the axe’s damage significantly. This is only effective if the player uses the axe as a weapon since the axe already has a higher base attack damage than the sword regardless.
- Efficiency: Efficiency will significantly increase the chopping speed of the axe, allowing you to gather wood more quickly. This is very useful when used hand in hand with the Unbreaking enchantment.
Best Enchantments for Pickaxe
- Silk Touch: Adding the Silk Touch enchantment in a pickaxe is great especially when gathering for items that easily break upon mining. The Silk Touch enchantment will allow you to mine a specific item in its entirety without breaking just like glowstones, sea lanterns, and more.
- Fortune: The Fortune enchantment is another great enchantment for the pickaxe as it greatly increases the number of ores dropped when mining. This is good for farming diamonds, lapis lazulis, iron, and ancient debris.
- Unbreaking: You can use Unbreaking along with the Silk Touch enchantment to allow your pickaxe more usage before breaking. As Silk Touch is a rather rare enchantment, you might want to prevent the tool from breaking as much as possible using the Unbreaking enchantment.
- Efficiency: Just like with the axe, the Efficiency enchantment will decrease the duration of mining thereby ultimately increasing its mining speed.
- Mending: Mending is a good enchantment option for you if you want to sustain the durability of a higher level pickaxe like diamond or netherite pickaxe. But since mining ore gives a lot of experience points, the pickaxe might absorb most of those points to restore its durability thereby preventing you from acquiring any EXP so you must be careful.
Best Enchantments for Shovel
- Silk Touch: A shovel doesn’t necessarily need the Silk Touch enchantment as it is more useful when equipped in a pickaxe rather than a shovel. However, having a Silk Touch-enchanted shovel will allow you to dig blocks such as grass blocks as a whole rather than having it changed into a dirt block.
- Efficiency: Equipping the shovel with Efficiency will greatly increase digging speed and allow you to collect blocks such as dirt and sand more quickly.
Best Enchantments for Hoe
- Unbreaking: Since the hoe is mainly used to till dirt blocks into farmland, the Unbreaking enchantment might be the only option for the hoe as it only prevents the hoe from breaking easily.
Best Enchantments for Shears
- Efficiency: Just like most tools, shears will greatly benefit from the Efficiency enchantment as it increases the speed at which you break certain blocks like leaves.
- Unbreaking: The Unbreaking enchantment is also another good option if you don’t want to keep breaking your pair of shears and making a new one.
Best Enchantments for Fishing Rod
- Lure: The Lure enchantment is a fishing rod-exclusive enchantment wherein it increases the rate at which you catch fish or treasure. Ultimately, you will be able to collect more items in a short amount of time as compared to using a fishing rod without the Lure enchantment.
- Luck of the Sea: The Luck of the Sea enchantment is another fishing rod-exclusive enchantment that reduces the chances of acquiring “junk” during fishing. This also means that it increases the chances to obtain treasures while fishing.