Hollow Knight, an atmospheric and challenging 2D action-adventure game, presents players with many formidable foes lurking within its large and beautiful world. Among these adversaries is Flukemarm. She is a grotesque amalgamation of flukes posing a particularly grueling test of skill and strategy for the player.
Players must exploit its flaws and apply a combination of precise timing, dodging, and relentless strikes to defeat this creature. In this guide, you’ll get insights and tactics on how to beat Flukemarm in the beautiful realm of Hollow Knight. So ready your nail, sharpen your wits, and prepare to face the pulsating horror that is Flukemarm!
Flukemarm in Hollow Knight
Flukemarm is a hidden boss in Hollow Knight. According to in-game lore, this hidden boss is the mother of all Flukes found in the Royal Waterways. Flukemarm was infected and made violent, but her body is now being used to nest young Flukefeys. These Flukefeys are also infected. Flukemarm cannot leave her cave since she is currently nesting young Flukefeys.
Once the Knight beats this hidden boss, the Knight will receive a new Flukenest charm. This charm will replace the projectile of the Knight’s Vengeful Spirit or Shade Soul spell with a horde of flukes. These flukes can then deal damage.
The Knight can find Flukemarm suspended inside a hidden cave southwest of the Royal Waterways.
There is a spell and a few abilities that the Knight must first have to find Flukemarm. First, the Knight must have the Desolate Dive or Descending Dark spell. These spells enable the Knight to hit the ground with concentrated Soul (and Shadow for the Descending Dark spell); the Descending Dark spell is the upgraded version of the Desolate Dive spell.
As for abilities, the Knight must have the Mantis Claw ability or the Monarch Wings ability. The Mantis Claw ability enables the Knight to cling to walls and jump off them. On the other hand, the Monarch Wings ability enables the Knight to perform a secondary jump in mid-air.
Also, the Knight must have the Lumafly Lantern to light up very dark rooms. The Knight can buy this item from Sly in Dirtmouth.
On the way to finding Flukemarm, the Knight will run into a few enemies. Specifically, the Knight will find Belflies, Flukefeys, Flukemons, and Fluke Larvae.
Path to Flukemarm
To find Flukemarm, these are what the Knight must do:
- Start from the Memorial to the Hollow Knight in the southern part of the City of Tears. Go to the left and exit the room. Head to the left, then take the next exit that leads downwards.
- The Knight has now arrived in the Royal Waterways area. Go to the left, where the Knight will run into two Pilflips. Head at the end of the path and drop down the next path, where the Knight will find another Pilflip. Exit the room on the left.
- After that, go a bit to the left, drop down the gap, go slightly to the right, then drop down another gap. At the bottom, the ground will rumble, which means it is breakable. Use the Desolate Dive or Descending Dark spell on the ground to break it and exit the room to the bottom of the shaft.
- The Knight will reach a crooked Bench. Let the Knight sit on the Bench to save your progress.
- Next, head down the gap on the left. At the bottom, the Knight will find two Flukemons and a Flukefey. There is a circular metal structure with a rumbling floor near the end of the wall on the left. Use the Desolate Dive or Descending Dark spell on the rumbling floor to break it and exit the room.
- Then, go to the right, and head down the gap, where the Knight will run into another Flukemon. Head to the right, where the Knight will find two separate but consecutive Belflies.
- After that, head down the gap on the right. There, the Knight will find three Flukemons and two Flukefeys. Go to the right and head up the platform on the right using the Mantis Claw ability or the Monarch Wings ability. There, the Knight will find another Belfly.
- Next, go to the right and head to the next platform below on the right. There, the Knight will find another Flukemon, Flukefey, and Belfly. Head down the gap on the left, where the Knight will find another two Flukemons. It is worth noting that there is a Soul Totem at the right end of the platform.
- Then, go to the left, where the Knight will run into another Flukefey. Continue going to the left, where the path is filled with Fluke Larvae. These will not attack the Knight. So, the Knight can hit them and gain Soul. Continue heading on this path, where the Knight will run into two Flukemons.
- After that, there is a slightly tall platform at the end of the path. Instead of jumping up the platform, continue to the left to reveal a hidden narrow pathway. Follow this hidden path and exit the room.
- Finally, head to the left, swim on the water, and the Knight will finally find Flukemarm!
To exit this area, simply enter through the exit the Knight used to reach Flukemarm and go to the right to get out of the narrow path. Then, jump up the slightly tall platform at the end of the hidden path with the help of the Mantis Claw or Monarch Wings ability.
Go to the left, climb up the shaft using the Mantis Claw ability, and climb up some more, where the Knight will find a Belfly. Then, break the wooden barrier holding up a wall on the right. Finally, the Knight will be back near the entrance of the room.
How to Beat Flukemarm
Flukemarm will remain dormant after being discovered unless when the Knight attacks her. The battle will then begin.
Unlike most other bosses in the game, the Knight is not bound in the arena when confronting Flukemarm. Therefore, the Knight can leave or flee the battle at any time.
In the battle, Flukemarm will only perform a single move:
- Spawn – Flukemarm will release two Flukefeys from one of her body’s holes. A maximum of six Flukefeys can be generated at the same time.
The basic strategy for beating Flukemarm is to defeat the spawned Flukefeys as quickly as possible. Then, attack Flukemarm in between the Flukefeys spawning. The Knight can then perform the Vengeful Spirit spell or the Shade Soul spell to deliver massive damage to Flukemarm once the Knight has gained enough Soul to attack the Flukefeys.
Another method for beating Flukemarm is to keep Nail-bouncing on top of Flukemarm while eliminating the Flukefeys as they go towards the Knight to attack. However, this technique would require the player to be proficient in nail-bouncing and attack many foes simultaneously.
The Knight’s Nail is suggested to be upgraded to at least the Channelled Nail. This can eliminate Flukefeys with a single hit, even without the charm boost.
The most crucial thing the Knight shouldn’t do is fall into the water below since the Knight cannot attack while swimming, leaving the Knight fully helpless.
Some abilities can help in dodging Flukemarm’s and the Flukefeys’ attacks. One of these is the Mothwing Cloak ability. This ability enables the Knight to dash forwards. Also, the Knight can get the Shade Cloak ability, which is the upgrade of the Mothwing Cloak ability.
This will then allow the Knight to dash through enemies and their attacks. Another recommended ability is the Monarch Wings ability. This ability enables the Knight to perform a secondary jump while the Knight is in mid-air. It is also recommended that the Knight has the Mantis Claw ability. This ability enables the Knight to cling to walls and jump off them.
As for Spells, it is recommended that the Knight use the Vengeful Spirit Spell or the Shade Soul Spell (the upgrade to the Vengeful Spirit Spell). As previously mentioned, these spells would be useful as these are quick spells that will shoot out projectiles forwards and hit enemies in their path.
Also, the Howling Wraiths spell or the Abyss Shriek spell (the upgrade to the Howling Wraiths spell) are recommended as these spells release Soul and inflict damage above and around the Knight.
Using the Cyclone Slash Nail Art is also recommended because this will cause the Knight to spin around like a cyclone and continuously attack enemies around the Knight. The Knight can use this Nail Art while falling down the side of Flukemarm to inflict damage to Flukemarm and even the Flukefeys as they spawn.
Charms can help in the battle against Flukemarm:
|Quick Focus Charm||Allows the Knight to heal faster.|
|Longnail Charm||Increases the range of the Knight’s Nail by 15%.|
|Mark of Pride Charm||Increases the range of the Knight’s Nail by 25%.|
|Shaman Stone Charm||Boosts the damage output of Spells and the physical size of the Vengeful Spirit or Shade Soul spell.|
|Soul Eater Charm and Soul Catcher Charm||Boosts the amount of Soul that the Knight gains when hitting enemies with the Knight’s Nail.|
|Grubsong Charm||Allows the Knight to gain Soul every time the Knight receives damage.|
|Spell Twister Charm||Decreases the amount of Soul required to cast Spells.|
|Stalwart Shell Charm||Increases the invincibility time and decreases the recoil whenever the Knight receives damage.|
|Thorns of Agony Charm||Sprouts out thorny vines that deal contact damage whenever the Knight receives damage.|
|Fragile Strength or Unbreakable Charm||Boosts the damage output of the Knight’s Nail by 50%.|
|Kingsoul Charm||Allows the Knight to generate Soul every two seconds.|
The battle against Flukemarm in Hollow Knight demands skilled reflexes and a strategic approach. By understanding its patterns and vulnerabilities, players can exploit its weaknesses and emerge victorious. Patience, perseverance, and a keen eye for openings are key to overcoming this challenging foe.
Use your abilities wisely, dodge the Flukefeys, and attack precisely. With determination and practice, you will emerge victorious, Flukemarm, and continue your epic journey through the dark and mysterious world of Hollow Knight!