Team Cherry’s Metroidvania action-adventure game, Hollow Knight, follows the journey of a nameless warrior called the Knight as he travels through Hallownest which is now a kingdom in ruins because of a supernatural disease. As the Knight journeys through Hallownest, he will be able to obtain new items, abilities, spells, and charms that will help him traverse through different areas of Hallownest and defeat enemies.
An example of these items in the game is the Charm Notch. The Knight needs Charm Notches in order to equip Charms which can give the Knight various bonuses and special abilities. Various Charms require a different number of Charm Notches in order to be equipped. So, the more Charm Notches that the Knight has, the more Charms the Knight can equip. Charm Notches can be found in different areas all throughout Hallownest and in this guide, you will learn how to obtain the Charm Notch in the Fog Canyon!
Fog Canyon Charm Notch
The Charm Notch in Fog Canyon can be found inside a hidden room filled with Oomas, Uomas, and exploding orange bubbles on the left side of the area.
In the Fog Canyon, the Knight will encounter different kinds of enemies like Uomas, Oomas, and Charged Lumaflies. Additionally, as mentioned above, the Knight will also encounter Uumuu, the main boss, in the area. Fortunately, however, the Knight will not face Uumuu to find the Charm Notch.
To go through Fog Canyon and find the Charm, it would be best that the Knight has obtained the Shade Cloak ability, which allows the Knight to dash through enemies and their attacks, as well as Shade Gates, the Monarch Wings ability, which allows the Knight to perform a double jump in mid-air, the Mantis Claw ability, which allows the Knight to cling to walls and jump off of them, and the Isma’s Tear ability, which allows the Knight to swim in pools of acid without taking any damage. With these abilities, obtaining the Charm Notch is very easy.
To find the Charm Notch, this is what the Knight must do:
- Starting from the Queen’s Station Stagway Bench, take the exit on the right, jump up the platforms, head to the top, and take the exit on the left.
- The Knight has now arrived in Fog Canyon. In this room, the Knight will encounter a lot of Uomas and Oomas. Be careful when attacking Oomas as it will result in its shell popping, and its orange core will home in on the Knight and explode. Head to the very top of the room and take the exit on the left.
- In this next room, The Knight will encounter much more of Uomas and Oomas. Head to the very top of the shaft and take the exit on the right.
- Next, continue to head to the right, where there are five Oomas, two Uomas, and a pool of acid below. Eventually, the Knight will find a Shade Gate, which is a gate made from the void, in the middle of the room. If the Knight tries to pass through, the Knight will bounce back but will not deal damage. To continue, the Knight must use the Shade Cloak ability to pass through the Shade Gate. Press the assigned dash button to use the Shade Cloak ability and pass through the Shade Gate. Continue to the right, where the Knight will encounter five more Oomas and four Uomas, then take the exit on the right. It is worth noting that Cornifer can be found at the top part of the room after the Shade Gate, and the Knight can purchase the map of the area from him for 150 Geo.
- Next, continue to the right, where the Knight will encounter 11 more Oomas. Be watchful of the explosive bubbles on the floor. Then, the Knight will encounter three more Uomas and a pool of acid below. Go through them and take the exit on the right.
- In this next part of the room, the Knight will encounter more Uomas, Oomas, and now also Charged Lumaflies. Head up a little bit until you find a tree with orange bubbles on top of a small platform above a Charged Lumafly on the right side. On the wall on the right, slightly above that small platform, you will find an exit that is not seen on the map. Take that hidden exit on the right.
- This next room is basically a maze filled with Uomas, Oomas, and exploding orange bubbles on the floor. Drop down on the gap and swim on the pool of acid below (thanks to the Isma’s Tear ability), head slightly to the left, then head to the top of the shaft while evading or defeating the two Oomas and the explosive bubbles on the wall.
- For this next part, there will be an annoying amount of exploding orange bubbles along with some Oomas and Uomas. Head to the left all the way to the wall, head to the path downwards, head to the right, then head down on the next available path. Part of the floor on the bottom will break and reveal a shortcut back which will be useful when heading out of the room.
- Next, head to the left, where there is a platform in the middle of a pool of acid, and there you will find something glowing inside of a bubble. Strike the bubble, inspect the glowing thing, and, finally, the Knight will obtain the Charm Notch!
After obtaining the Charm Notch, the Knight can now head to any bench (the closest bench is the one inside the Teacher’s Archives in the middle of Fog Canyon) and equip more Charms which will help in the Knight’s journey in Hallownest!