Navigating the enthralling world of Hollow Knight may be both fascinating and difficult. This game follows a nameless warrior named the Knight on their adventure across Hallownest. Because of a deadly Infection, this kingdom has been devastated.
The Beast’s Den, a region rife with peril and secrets, is one of its many mysteries. The Knight is forced and wakes up in this location. To proceed, the Knight must successfully exit from the place. To escape this deadly sanctuary, you’ll need a combination of smart thinking, responsive platforming, and knowledge of the den’s peculiar denizens.
This guide will walk you through how to leave the Beast’s Den in Hollow Knight. As you embark on your journey to exit this area, this guide will unravel the steps and strategies necessary to navigate its treacherous depths and emerge victorious into the wider realm of Hallownest.
The Beast’s Den
The Beast’s Den is a sub-area that appears like a labyrinth within Deepnest. This area is in the southwest of the Deepnest area in the Distant Village. The Beast’s Den is a distinctive area known for its unique dark design, challenging platforming sections, and formidable enemies.
This makes the journey in the Beast’s Den both perilous and rewarding. The den is often associated with challenges and secrets, making it a memorable and intriguing part of the Hollow Knight gaming experience.
When the Knight first enters the structure in the Distant Village, a group of inhabitants encourages the Knight to sit on the Bench. The Knight then wakes up entangled in webbing and dragged to a deeper labyrinth.
In the Beast’s Den, the Knight will find the resting place of Herrah the Beast. She is the queen of the Spider Tribe of Deepnest and one of the Dreamers that the Knight finds. Herrah the Beast is also the mother of Hornet.
The Knight can attack Herrah, the Beast’s body, using the Dream Nail to enter her mind. Then, there, the Knight can break her seal. Hornet sits next to her mother’s deathbed after Herrah is defeated. This assumes that the Knight defeated the Hornet Sentinel at Kingdom’s Edge before Herrah’s death.
The Knight will run into a few enemies in the Beast’s Den. Specifically, the Knight will face a Bluggsac, Deeplings, Corpse Creepers, Little Weavers, Deephunters, and Stalking Devouts in the labyrinthian area.
Aside from enemies, the Knight will also find obtainable items in the Beast’s Den. The Knight will find six Geo Deposits inside this dark area: one Rancid Egg, one Hallownest Seal, and one Grub.
How to Leave the Beast’s Den
As mentioned above, the Beast’s Den is near the top of the Distant Village. This is in the southwest of Deepnest. Upon entering the large structure that looks like a large ball of web, a few villagers will greet the Knight. Then, they will introduce themselves as friends and ask the Knight to rest on a Bench near them.
Once the Knight complies, the Knight will be webbed to the seat and unable to leave. The villagers slowly approach the trapped Knight, and the screen will turn black. When the screen fades back, the Knight will wake up trapped and tangled in webs. This is in the middle of the labyrinth that is the Beast’s Den. The Knight must leave the area to continue.
To leave the Beast’s Den, the Knight must have a few abilities. The first one is the Mantis Claw ability. This ability enables the Knight to cling to vertical surfaces to slide down or jump off them. The next required ability is the Mothwing Cloak ability. This ability allows the Knight to execute a quick dash horizontally forward.
Aside from abilities, the Knight must also have the Lumafly Lantern. The Knight will use this item to light up dark rooms. The Knight can purchase the Lumafly Lantern from Sly up in Dirtmouth to get this item.
On the way out of the Beast’s Den, the Knight encounters only a few enemies. Specifically, the Knight will encounter Corpse Creepers, Deeplings, Stalking Devouts, and Deephunters.
Path Out of Beast’s Den
To leave the Beast’s Den, the Knight must do the following:
- Once the screen fades back, repeatedly press the assigned ATTACK button. This will result in the Knight breaking the web trap and being able to move freely.
- Afterward, go to the right, drop down the gap, and continue moving to the right. While following this path, part of the floor will break. The Knight can follow this newly revealed path to get a Hallownest Seal. If the Knight continues heading to the right, the Knight will find two paths. Both of these paths, however, are dead ends. The path below has a few Corpse Creepers and a Deepling, and the path above also has a few Deeplings.
- Next, head up the platform’s wall above the path leading to the Hallownest Seal. Climb up the wall using the Mantis Claw ability to head up and, at the top, go to the left. Here, the Knight will run into a Stalking Devout. At the end of the path, climb up the shaft using the Mantis Claw ability. On top of the shaft, head to the right and drop down the next shaft. Upon landing, head to the right, where the Knight will encounter several Deeplings.
- Then, climb up another narrow shaft at the end of the path using the Mantis Cloak ability. At the top of the shaft, head to the left, where the Knight will run into a Deephunter. Jump and dash to the left at the platform’s edge using the Mothwing Cloak ability. Through that, the Knight will reach another platform with spikes on the left. Above these spikes is a shaft. Jump up the right wall of the shaft and climb up. Here, the Knight will find another Deephunter.
- Then, on top of the shaft, go to the left where there is another shaft. The right wall of this shaft has spikes, so use the left wall to climb up. Here, the Knight will run into another Deephunter. At the top of the shaft, go to the right. Be careful at the end of the path, as the ground will break and reveal a path downwards. If the Knight follows the path downwards, the Knight can find two paths on the right. The first path has a couple of Deeplings and a Bluggsac. Eliminate the Bluggsac to obtain a Rancid Egg. The next path below has another Deepling and one of the Geo Deposits in the area.
- Next, instead of going down, climb up the shaft and, at the top, head to the right. Be careful at the end of the path, as part of the floor will break and expose some spikes. Climb up the shaft above the spikes using the Mantis Claw ability. Here, the Knight will find a Deephunter. At the top, head to the left; near the end, a small part of the floor will break. This will reveal a narrow path.
- Then, drop down the newly-revealed path. At the bottom, the Knight will find a trapped Grub inside a glass jar on the right. The Knight can strike the glass jar to break it and free the Grub.
- Afterward, go to the left, and at the end of the path, part of the floor will break. This will reveal some spikes. Climb up the narrow shaft above the spikes using the Mantis Claw ability. Here, the Knight will come across another Deephunter. At the top of the shaft, head to the left, where the Knight will find another Stalking Devout.
- Next, head up the slightly elevated platform and keep going to the right. Drop down the gap at the end of the path to land on a ledge. Drop down another gap on the right and go to the right. Drop down another shaft and, at the bottom, drop down another shaft on the left.
- Then, at the bottom, go through the doorway on the right and drop down on the gap. Here, the Knight can find a Bench on the right. The Knight can now sit on the Bench to heal and save your progress.
- Finally, Stand in the middle of the wall on the left, and the Bench and part of the floor will break. Drop down the newly revealed path. The Knight will then land on the area where the villagers lured the Knight to sit on the Bench. From here, the Knight can head to the left to leave the Beast’s Den!
How to Find Herrah, the Beast
Now that the Knight is already in the Beast’s Den, it is recommended to find Herrah the Beast. With this, the Knight can break one of the seals of the Dreamers.
To reach Herrah, the Beast, the Knight will only use one ability. This is the Mantis Claw ability. Again, this allows the Knight to stick to walls and jump off them. Also, again, the Knight must have the Lumafly Lantern to light up dark areas.
On the way to Herrah, the Beast, the Knight will only come across a single Stalking Devout.
Path to Herrah the Beast
The Knight must do the following to find Herrah the Beast:
- From the Bench in the Beast’s Den, jump across the exit on the left and head up the elevated platform. Go to the left and, at the end of the path, climb up the shaft using the Mantis Claw ability.
- After that, at the top, go slightly to the right, then climb up another small shaft. On top, go to the left, then climb up the left wall to reach a ledge. Head up the wall on the left again and, on top, jump towards the platform on the right.
- Next, head to the right and climb up the next shaft. At the top, go to the right, where the Knight will run into a Stalking Devout.
- Finally, keep going to the right, and the Knight will be in a large room. Here, the Knight will find the resting place of the body of Herrah the Beast!
Now that the Knight has found Herrah, the Beast simply hits the body once with the Dream Nail. This will allow the Knight to enter its mind. Next, jump towards the platforms to head to the left. The Knight will eventually find Herrah, the Beast’s Dream realm. Attack Herrah the Beast several times and hold the assign FOCUS button once prompted. After that, Herra the Beast’s seal is now broken!
In Hollow Knight, knowing how to leave the puzzling grasp of the Beast’s Den requires skill and an in-depth understanding of the game’s mechanics. Players can effectively overcome the dangers and puzzles that lie within by mastering the skills of traversal and fighting.
With this knowledge and determination, successfully leaving the den becomes a monument to the player’s resilience and flexibility. This adventure serves as a reminder of the intricate and rewarding adventure that Hollow Knight gives to those who dare to explore its captivatingly eerie world.