Team Cherry’s Metroidvania action-adventure game, Hollow Knight, follows the journey of a nameless warrior called the Knight as he travels through Hallownest, which is now a kingdom in ruins because of a supernatural disease. As the Knight journeys through Hallownest, he can unlock new abilities, spells, and charms that will help him traverse through different areas of Hallownest and defeat enemies.
One of the useful spells in the game is the Abyss Shriek spell. This spell is the upgrade to the Howling Wraiths spell wherein the Knight will release a blast of Soul above and around the Knight. On the other hand, the Abyss Shriek spell is a better version of the spell where the Knight will release an even bigger and stronger blast of Soul above and around the Knight. With the Abyss Shriek spell, the Knight will have a new way of defeating enemies in Hallownest!
The Abyss Shriek spell can be found in the southwesternmost part of the Abyss which is also the bottommost part of Hallownest. It can be obtained by letting the Knight stand on top of the pedestal in the room and perform the Howling Wraiths spell.
Before the Knight can enter the Abyss, the Knight must first obtain the King’s Brand, which the Knight can find on the path ahead after defeating Hornet (Sentinel) in the eastern part of Kingdom’s Edge. In the Abyss, the Knight will encounter different kinds of enemies like the Shadow Creepers, the Siblings, and the Void Tendrils.
So the Knight will be able to reach and traverse the Abyss easier, it is recommended that the Knight should have the Monarch Wings ability, which allows the Knight to perform a double jump in mid-air, and the Mantis Claw ability, which enables the Knight to cling to walls and jump off of them.
Additionally, as the Abyss Shriek spell is the upgrade to the Howling Wraiths spell, the Knight must first obtain the Howling Wraiths spell from the Fog Canyon. With these abilities, obtaining the Howling Wraiths spell is very easy.
To obtain the Abyss Shriek spell, this is what the Knight must do:
- Starting from the Hidden Station Stagway Bench (the Stagway Station east of the Palace Ground in the Ancient Basin), head to the left to get to the Palace Grounds, continue to the left, and take the exit on the leftmost side of the room.
- Then, head slightly to the left, drop down, and continue to the left, where you will find an exit that leads downwards.
- After that, proceed down the path where the Knight will encounter two Shadow Creepers, then proceed on the path on the left where there will be a huge gate with the mark of the King’s Brand. Approach the gate, and it will light up and disappear. Go through the newly-opened entryway.
- The Knight has now arrived in the Abyss. Upon entering, the Knight will be in a large room with a few Shadow Creepers filled with spiked platforms. Head down to the very bottom of the room where Siblings will perpetually spawn until the Knight leaves, continue to the left, and take the exit on the left side of the room.
- Next, continue heading to the left, where the Knight will encounter five more Shadow Creepers. Then, on the leftmost side of the room, you will see a pedestal in the middle of a gap.
- Finally, let the Knight stand on top of the pedestal and perform the Howling Wraiths spell by pressing the up movement button and the assigned Cast button simultaneously. After that, the Knight obtained the Abyss Shriek spell!
As mentioned above, the Abyss Shriek spell allows the Knight to release an even bigger blast of Soul and shadow above and around the Knight. Just press the assigned FOCUS or CAST button to perform it while holding the UP movement button. The wave of energy released will be in an arc with a wider ranger above and around the Knight, which deals four hits quickly.
The Abyss Shriek spell is the second strongest unmodified attack in the game because it is 16 times the strength of the Old Nail. Like casting the Vengeful Spirit spell, the Knight will stall in mid-air if the Abyss Shriek spell is performed in mid-air.
Equipping certain Charms can help increase the damage output of spells like the Shaman Stone charm, which increases the damage output of the Abyss Shriek spell by almost 50%. Additionally, equipping the Spell Twister charm lowers the cost of Soul to cast the Abyss Shriek spell.
Now that the Knight knows the Abyss Shriek spell, the Knight has a new way of defeating common enemies and bosses in Hallownest!