One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Mijah Rokee Shrine or A Modest Test of Strength. As the title of the shrine suggests, this shrine requires Link to prove his strength by killing a Guardian Scout and completing the shrine. However, before you can access the Mijah Rokee Shrine, Link must first complete the Under a Red Moon Shrine Quest. The shrine and shrine quest may seem intimidating, but this guide will teach you how to complete the Under a Red Moon Shrine Quest to access the Mijah Rokee Shrine, defeat the Guardian Scout, get the chest, and claim the chest of the Spirit Orb.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link can get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The shrine quest, after completing the shrine quest and it appears, the Mijah Rokee Shrine can be found at the top of a cliff called Washa’s Bluff which can be found just southwest of Hyrule Ridge (or northwest of Satori Mountain and southeast of the Tabantha Bridge Stable).
You can reach the area by slowly climbing up the hill through the north side of Washa’s Bluff near the road just south of Seres Scablands in Hyrule Ridge.
The Mijah Rokee Shrine is one of seven shrines in the Ridgeland Tower region.
Under a Red Moon
To start the Under a Red Moon Shrine Quest, head to the south side of Washa’s Bluff, and there you will see an Ancient pedestal near some tall trees that are flat on top. On the tallest flat-top tree, you will find the Rito bard named Kass. Link can slowly climb each tree until he can reach Kass, assuming you have enough stamina or have a potion or food that replenishes stamina, or you can use Revali’s Gale to glide up and drop on top near Kass, also assuming you already have Revali’s Gale.
Talk to Kass, and he will tell you about an ancient verse about the area:
“When the Moon bleeds, and the fiends are reborn / The Monks will invite you
as they have sworn.
But first, you must stand on the pedestal bare / With nothing between
you and the night air.”
The ancient verse means Link must stand on the Ancient pedestal below the next Blood Moon with all his armor or clothes removed. So, the first step to completing the Under a Red Moon Shrine Quest is to wait for the next Blood Moon.
You can know if there will be a Blood Moon by going to the Dueling Peaks Stable in the Dueling Peaks Tower region and talking to Hino outside of the stable. Talk to him, and select ‘Tonight’s moon?’ on the prompt. He will then tell you if the Blood Moon will occur on the current night. If not, Link can sleep in the stable or sit by the fire until morning, then ask Hino again if the Blood Moon will occur on the current night. Do this until Hino says that ‘something will happen tonight.’
Once you are sure that the Blood Moon will occur, head back to Washa’s Bluff, and that is where you should wait for the night so you will not miss the Blood Moon because of traveling. You can do that by setting up a fire (drop some Wood and Flint, then hit it with a metal weapon), sitting by the fire, and selecting ‘Night’ on the prompt. Once it is night and the Moon is colored red, the Ancient platform will now be glowing. Unequip all of Link’s armor or clothes until all left are his weapons and underwear, then stand on the glowing Ancient pedestal. Finally, the Mijah Rokee Shrine will emerge from the ground in the distance, and the Under a Red Moon Shrine Quest will be completed!
A Modest Test of Strength
Before descending to the Mijah Rokee Shrine, Link has enough weapons, shields, bows, arrows, and health food (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering Mijah Rokee Shrine, you will see an entrance to a very big room just ahead of Link. In this big room are big concrete pillars. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance and after going through the door, the gate will close behind Link and a Guardian Scout will emerge from the ground. This Guardian Scout will be armed with a sword and shield.
- Now you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with slow attacks. It will attack with slow stabs with its spear which you will know because it will wind up. You can simply dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush to inflict major damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers but this can be dodged by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. Before it charges towards Link, hide behind a pillar so that when it does spin towards Link it will hit the pillar which will cause the Guardian Scout to be stunned and will then be an opportunity to deal damage.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up in the air. Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you do not want to do that, you can simply stand out of the laser’s range then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and will start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (just like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts towards its target which can inflict major damage. To evade this, simply sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodging the blasts or you can fire arrows on its eyes and deal some damage. It is worth mentioning that you can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its Guardian Sword+ and Guardian Shield+ for the taking along with a couple of Ancient Shafts and Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Frostblade.
- Then, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb.
The Mijah Rokee Shrine, or the A Modest Test of Strength, is one of seven shrines in the Ridgeland Tower region. The other shrines are the Toh Yahsa Shrine or the Buried Secrets, the Zalta Wa Shrine or the Two Orbs to Guide You, the Shae Loya Shrine or the Aim for the Moment, the Maag No’rah Shrine or Maag No’rah’s Blessing, the Sheem Dagoze Shrine or the Moving on Parallel, and Mogg Latan Shrine or the Synced Swing.