One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Mozo Shenno Shrine, a major strength test. As the title of the shrine suggests, this shrine requires Link to prove his strength by defeating a Guardian Scout and completing the shrine. This shrine may seem a little intimidating, but it is the same as the other test of strength shrine with just the difference of a stronger Guardian Scout. In this guide, you will learn how to defeat the Guardian Scout, complete the Mozo Shenno Shrine, get the chest, and claim the Spirit Orb!
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link can get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Mozo Shenno Shrine can be found inside a hollow part of the Biron Snowshelf, which can be accessed on its northeastern side near the top surface (the shrine is northeast of the Sturnida Basin and Sturnida Secret Hot Spring or southwest of Hebra Tundra and Selmie’s Spot in the Hebra Mountains).
To reach the area, Link can start from Shada Naw Shrine near Selmie’s Spot, head southeast, then jump and glide from one of the tall cliffs from the Hebra Tundra and land on top Biron Snowshelf. Link can climb down a little from the northeastern side of the Biron Snowshelf, and you will see a hollow opening with the Mozo Shenno Shrine inside.
It is worth mentioning that the climate in the area is very cold, so make sure that Link has cold-resistant armor.
The Mozo Shenno Shrine is one of 13 shrines in the Hebra Tower region.
A Major Test of Strength
Before descending to the Mozo Shenno Shrine, Link has enough weapons (especially Guardian weapons as they are very effective against Guardians), shields, bows, arrows, and food for health (cooked or not).
Upon entering the Mozo Shenno Shrine, you will see an entrance to a very big room just ahead of Link, and embedded on the floor are several huge metal cubes that can only move vertically. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance, and after going through the door, a Guardian Scout will emerge on the ground after the gate closes behind Link. This Guardian Scout is armed with a sword, a spear, and a battle-ax.
- Now you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with stabs with its spear, slices with its battle-ax, and attacks with its sword, which you’ll know because it will wind up. You can dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush to inflict major damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers, but this can be evaded by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. Before it charges towards Link, press the up directional button, select the Magnesis Rune ability, press the L button to aim, aim at a huge metal cube on the floor, press the A button to activate, and pull it up to set up a small pillar.
- Make sure that the huge metal cube is in the middle of Link and the Guardian Scout, and do not deactivate the Magnesis Rune ability, as deactivating it will result in the huge metal cube being dropped back down. Then, when it spins towards Link and hits the huge metal cube, the Guardian Scout will be stunned and will then be an opportunity to deal damage.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up.
- Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you do not want to do that, you can stand out of the laser’s range, then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts toward its target, which can inflict major damage.
- To evade this, sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodging the blasts, or you can fire arrows at its eyes and deal some damage. It is worth mentioning that you can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its Guardian Sword++, Guardian Spear++, Ancient Battle Axe++ for the taking, and a couple of Ancient Shafts and Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar, where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Diamond.
- Finally, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb!
The Mozo Shenno Shrine, or A Major Test of Strength, is one of 13 shrines in the Hebra Tower region. The other shrines are the Rin Oyaa Shrine or the Directing the Wind, the Sha Gehma Shrine or the Shift and Lock, the Goma Asaagh Shrine or A Major Test of Strength, the Hia Miu Shrine or A Major Test of Strength, the Shada Naw Shrine or the Red Giveaway, the To Quomo Shrine or Quomo’s Blessing, the Rok Uwog Shrine or the Power of Reach, the Maka Rah Shrine or the Steady Thy Heart, the Lanno Kooh Shrine or Lanno Kooh’s Blessing, the Dunba Taag Shrine or the Build and Release, the Gee Ha’rah Shrine or the Tandem, and the Qaza Tokki Shrine or Qaza Tokki’s Blessing.