So that NPCs no longer physically fall over like vegetables in-game.
Ragdoll physics is the most difficult thing to get right in just about any game. This is why most “human” characters and models in many games physically react to stimuli as if their bodies are made of gelatin rather than bones and muscles.
GTA 5 is considered one of those games, and Rockstar Games has no excuse for the awful biomechanics since even GTA IV has comparatively better and more realistic ragdoll physics than GTA 5.
Fortunately, with GTA 5’s active modding community, it was only time before modders finally dipped their toes into GTA 5’s ragdoll physics. Enter the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod.
What is the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod for GTA 5?
Euphoria Physics is the game engine animation simulator that NaturalMotion created. The Euphoria physics engine is used in various other games, such as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Max Payne 3, to name a few.
For GTA 5, Euphoria Physics takes care of physical NPC and character interactions. Euphoria physics handles in-game interactions, such as when characters get hit by a car, hit on the face, or hit by any weapon on various parts of their body. The way these characters react relies heavily on how the Euphoria physics engine processes various stimuli in-game.
Through the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod for GTA 5, NPCs will react more realistically to getting shot on the leg through the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod for example.
How to Install the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod for GTA 5
Installing the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod for GTA 5 is very simple. Follow these steps:
- Download the Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul Mod from the gta5-mods website:
2. Extract the downloaded ZIP file:
3. Open the ERO 1.9.4.oiv file using WinRAR:
4. Click on the “Extract to” button in the upper left corner:
5. Extract to the same folder by simply clicking “OK”:
You should now have this ERO1.9.4 folder.
Download, Install and Use OpenIV to paste the extracted files
Now we need to use a program called OpenIV to access the update.rpf file in the GTA 5 root folder. That is where we need to paste a few files from the ERO1.9.4 folder we extracted a few moments ago.
- Download and Install OpenIV:
2. Launch OpenIV, then click on “Windows” under the Grand Theft Auto V section:
3. Direct the OpenIV app towards your GTA 5 root folder:
3. In the OpenIV window, double-click to open the GTA 5 “update” folder:
4. Double-click to open the update.rpf file:
5. Click on “Edit mode”:
6. Navigate to update.rpf>common>data folder:
7. Create a folder named “naturalmotion”:
8. Go back to the extracted ERO1.9.4 folder:
9. Open the content folder and copy the behaviours.xml file inside the behaviour file folder:
10. Drag and drop the behaviours.xml file into the newly created “naturalmotion” folder inside OpenIV:
11. Go back to the extracted ERO1.9.4 folder, then search for the physicstasks.ymt file inside the physicstaskfile folder:
12. Go back to OpenIV, then navigate to update.rpf>x64>data>tune:
13. Drag and drop the physicstasks.ymt file into the tune folder:
Realistic Ragdoll Physics
This mod should make the ragdoll physics in GTA 5 more realistic – gone will be the NPCs that fall over the instant you lightly tap them on the booty with your car’s bumper. The Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul mod is a definite must-have if you’re into making GTA 5 more realistic through third-party mods.