Team Cherry’s Metroidvania action-adventure game, Hollow Knight, follows the journey of a nameless warrior called the Knight as he travels through Hallownest, which is now a kingdom in ruins because of a supernatural disease. As the Knight journeys through Hallownest, he encounters various characters that will help fully unravel the story in the game.
One of the characters in the game is Monomon, the Teacher. According to in-game lore, Monomon the Teachers, one of the Dreamers, was a chief researcher and teacher in Hallownest. When the Infection started, Monomon the Teacher was involved in the Pale King’s plan to seal the Radiance in the Hollow Knight. Because of this, the Knight must find Monomon the Teacher and the other Dreamers to enter the Black Egg. Monomon the Teacher and the other Dreamers closed the Black Egg entrance, putting them into eternal sleep.
The player will learn how to find Monomon the Teacher in this guide!
Monomon, the Teacher’s sleeping body, can be found inside the Teacher’s Arhives which is in the middle of the Fog Canyon. In the area, the Knight will encounter enemies like Uomas, Oomas, and Charged Lumaflies. Additionally, as mentioned above, the Knight will encounter Uumuu, the main boss, in the area.
To go through Fog Canyon, the Knight must first obtain the Shade Cloak ability, which allows the Knight to dash through enemies and their attacks as well as Shade Gates. Additionally, so the Knight will be able to traverse Fog Canyon easier, it is recommended that the Knight should have the Monarch Wings ability, which allows the Knight to perform a double jump in mid-air, and the Mantis Claw ability, which enables the Knight to cling to walls and jump off of them, and the Isma’s Tear ability, which allows the Knight to swim in pools of acid without taking any damage. With these abilities, traversing the Fog Canyon and reaching Monomon the Teacher is fairly easy.
To find Monomon the Teacher, this is what the Knight must do:
- Starting from the Queen’s Station Stagway Bench, take the exit on the right, jump up the platforms, head to the top, and take the exit on the left.
- The Knight has now arrived in Fog Canyon. Head to the very top of the room and take the exit on the left. In this room, the Knight will encounter a lot of Uomas and Oomas. Be careful when attacking Oomas as it will pop its shell, and its orange core will come in on the Knight and explode.
- In this next room, The Knight will encounter much more of Uomas and Oomas. Head to the very top of the shaft and take the exit on the right.
- Next, continue to head to the right, where there are five Oomas, two Uomas, and a pool of acid below. Eventually, the Knight will find a Shade Gate, which is a gate made from the void, in the middle of the room. If the Knight tries to pass through, the Knight will bounce back but will not deal damage. To continue, the Knight must use the Shade Cloak ability to pass through the Shade Gate. Press the assigned dash button to use the Shade Cloak ability and pass through the Shade Gate, continue to the right where the Knight will encounter five more Oomas and four Uomas, then take the exit on the right. It is worth noting that Cornifer can be found at the top part of the room after the Shade Gate, and the Knight can purchase the map of the area from him for 150 Geo.
- Next, continue to the right, where the Knight will encounter 11 more Oomas. Be watchful of the explosive bubbles on the floor. Then, the Knight will encounter three more Uomas and a pool of acid below. Go through them and take the exit on the right.
- In this next part of the room, the Knight will encounter more Uomas, Oomas, and now also Charged Lumaflies. Head to the bottom of the room and take the exit on the left.
- Next, head to the left, where the Knight will encounter two Oomas and one Uoma then, after that, eight more Oomas then, after that, two more Uomas. Go through enemies and take the exit on the left.
- After that, the Knight will find Quirrel and the entrance to the Teacher’s Archives! Before entering the Teacher’s Archives, talk to Quirrel, then head to the leftmost side of the room and destroy the wooden bracing to open a shortcut back to the first room of Fog Canyon. After that, enter the Teacher’s Archives.
- In the first room of the Teacher’s Archives, head to the right, and the Knight will eventually find a path on the floor and some platforms above it. Head up the platforms, and the Knight will find a Bench. Sit on the Bench to heal and save your progress. After that, take the exit below.
- In this next room, the Knight will encounter a bunch more Oomas, Uomas, and Charged Lumaflies. Upon entering the room, the path will be separated into two. It is recommended that the Knight take the path on the left to head below as fewer enemies are on this path.
- Next, head to the bottommost part of the room, where the Knight will encounter the main boss named Uumuu. The Knight must first defeat Uumuu to continue.
- After defeating Uumuu, a path will be opened on the arena’s bottom left and bottom right. If the Knight has the Isma’s Tear ability, it would not matter if the Knight takes either path. If the Knight does not have the Isma’s Tear ability, however, it is recommended that the Knight take the path on the right, but if that is the case, the Knight would still need the Crystal Heart ability actually to get to Monomon the Teacher.
- Take either the path on the left or right (depending on the situations mentioned), head to the very bottom, head to the middle where there will be a path upwards, head up, then the Knight will find something glowing inside a glass structure.
- Inspect the glass structure, and Quirrel will reappear and explain that even though his memory is blank, he can still recall this place which is where Monomon the Teacher sought to store the Kingdom’s knowledge and, at its core Monomon the Teacher stored herself. Quirrel will continue that Monomon the Teacher willingly became a seal to protect Hallownest.
- However, she enacted additional protection on herself, which Quirrel played a part in, and now Monomon the Teacher has called him here to undo that protection to help the Knight. After that, the glow inside the glass structure will be gone and reveal Monomon the Teacher!
Now that the Knight has found Monomon the Teacher, the Knight can now strike Monomon the Teacher’s body with the Dream Nail by holding down the assigned Dream Nail button and then releasing it once the attack is charged up to enter the Dream Realm, meet Monomon the Teacher herself, and break her Seal by using Focus after the Knight keeps on attacking her. After that, the Knight will wake up, and Monomon the Teacher’s body will no longer be there.