Pokemon Legends: Arceus is set in the old times in the Pokemon world at a time when it was rare to find harmony between people and Pokemon. Set in the land of the Hisui region, which will be known as the Sinnoh region in modern times, you’ll join the Galaxy Expedition Team (or just Galaxy Team for short) as a member of the Survey Corps stationed in Jubilife Village. You will be tasked to meet every species of Pokémon from the Hisui region to complete the region’s first-ever Pokédex.
The game has certain Pokemon that the player cannot catch in the wild, and the player can only obtain these Pokemon through evolution. One of these Pokemon is the Alolan Ninetails, and in this guide, you will learn how to evolve Alolan Vulpix into an Alolan Ninetails!
Alolan Vulpix to Alolan Ninetails
Alolan Ninetails is an Ice and Fairy Type Fox Pokemon and the version of Ninetails found in the Alola region. Compared to the regular Ninetails with long golden-white fur and red eyes, the Alolan Ninetails have more flowing pale blue fur and more enormous blue eyes. Other than that, the Alolan Ninetails’ nine tails are white and less distinct from each other. According to its Pokedex entry in the game, the Alolan Ninetails live on sacred peaks and are perpetually covered in snow. Additionally, it is said that the Alolan Ninetails appear to virtuous people who are lost in the mountain paths and guide them back down to the mountain’s base.
As mentioned above, unfortunately, the player cannot find an Alolan Ninetails in the wild, and the player can only catch it through evolution. To evolve an Alolan Vulpix into an Alolan Ninetails, the player must use an Ice Stone on Alolan Vulpix. To do that, the player must first know where to find an Alolan Vulpix.
Unfortunately, the player cannot find an Alolan Vulpix in the wild. However, the player will be gifted one after completing the Snow-White Vulpix in the Snow Request (request 83).
In order to unlock this request, the player must first open the Hisuian Braviary as a rideable Pokemon which is part of the “The Slumbering Lord of the Tundra” Mission, which is the twelfth mission in the game where the player must quell a frenzied Noble Hisuian Avalugg. Additionally, the player must first encounter and catch a Vulpix, which can be found west of Veilstone Cape or north of Castaway Shore in the Cobalt Coastlands, to add it to the player’s Pokedex.
After doing the requirements mentioned above, you can now start this request! To do that, simply head to the Galaxy Hall and proceed to Professor Laventon’s room on the left side of Captain Cyllene’s office. In Professor Laventon’s room, you will find a blackboard behind Professor Laventon himself. On this blackboard are a few requests the player can take on. Read what’s on the blackboard, and the prompt, select the ‘Snow-White Vulpix in the Snow’ request. And, just like that, the ‘Snow-White Vulpix in the Snow’ request has started!
According to the request description, a member of the Security Corps from the Alola Region named Keeka has some peculiar Vulpix named Keokeo, and he has a request about them. To complete the “Snow-White Vulpix in the Snow” request, this is what the player must do:
First, head out of Professor Laventon’s office and the Galaxy Hall, go to the Front Gate on the northeast of Jubilife Village, select the Alabaster Icelands, and go to the Snowfields Camp.
Upon arriving at the Snowfields Camp in the Alabaster Icelands, just a little bit north of the Base Camp and Professor Laventon, you will find a man in Security Corps clothing named Keeka. Talk to Keeka, and he will tell the player that his Keokeo (his Vulpix) wandered off to play, but they haven’t come back yet, so he will ask the player to help him find them. After confirming with Keeka on the prompt, Keeka will explain that back in the Alola Region, Vulpix is called Koko. Then, suddenly, one of the Vulpix will appear, and Keeka will tell the player that this white Vulpix is what the Keokeo or Vulpix from the Alola Region looks like. As they are as white as snow, Keeka will tell the player that finding them all by himself would be very difficult and five of them are still missing. He will then say to the player to find them and tell them to come back and that the player may be able to find the remaining Alolan Vulpix playing around the Avalanche Slopes.
Next, head to the Avalanche Slopes, on the southwest part of the map of the Alabaster Icelands. There is no required order of finding the Alolan Vulpix, and the player can find them in these locations:
- One of the Alolan Vulpix can be found on top of a small mountain-like rock formation a little bit northeast of the Avalanche Slopes (refer to the map below for better guidance). Press the A button to interact with it and it will go back to the Keeka in the Snowfields Camp.
- Another one of the Alolan Vulpix can be found on top of a cliff on the southeastern part of the Avalanche Slopes (refer to the map below for better guidance). Press the A button to interact with it, and it will return to the Keeka in the Snowfields Camp.
- Another Alolan Vulpix can be found near a rock on the ground level slightly west of the last Alolan Vulpix (refer to the map below for better guidance). Press the A button to interact with it, and it will return to the Keeka in the Snowfields Camp.
- Another one of the Alolan Vulpix can be found near the edge of a cliff on the southwestern part of the Avalanche Slopes (refer to the map below for better guidance). Press the A button to interact with it and it will go back to the Keeka in the Snowfields Camp.
- Another one of the Alolan Vulpix can be found on top of a cliff near the edge of the map on the southernmost part of the Avalanche Slopes (refer to the map below for better guidance). Press the A button to interact with it, and it will return to the Keeka in the Snowfields Camp.
After finding all the five missing Alolan Vulpix, head back to Keeka, still in the Snowfields Camp of the Alabaster Icelands, which is on the southernmost part of the map, and talk to him. Keeka will thank the player as all the Alolan Vulpix are back with him safe and sound. Keeka will reward the player with one Exp. Candy L, for your efforts. Also, finally, one of the Alolan Vulpix will take a liking to the player, so Keeka will also give the player an Alolan Vulpix!
The player may obtain an Ice Stone by breaking Tumblestone Ores shaking in the Coronet Highlands. Breaking these shaking ores, however, will result in a Pokemon like Geodude or Graveler popping out and battling the player.
Also, the player can purchase an Ice Stone for 5,000 Pokemon Dollars from Ginter at the Gingko Guild Shop in between the Galaxy Hall and the player’s headquarters. However, Ginter will call it a Snow-Patterned Rock. Unfortunately, the items that the Gingko Guild Merchants sell are not the same so that purchasable items may vary. To change the things that Ginter is selling, the player must first catch 20 Pokemon.
The player can purchase an Ice Stone from the Trading Post near the Training Grounds for 1,000 Merit Points. The player can earn Merit Points by returning lost suitcases all over the Hisui region.
Additionally, the player may find some Ice Stones on the ground inside of Space-Time Distortions, so check out the items inside them.
Finally, Alolan Ninetails!
After catching an Alolan Vulpix and obtaining an Ice Stone, the player can now evolve Alolan Vulpix into an Alolan Ninetails!
Before trying to evolve Alolan Vulpix, however, it is worth mentioning that this is the only Alolan Vulpix that the player can have aside from trading with other people. This means that you will not have an Alolan Vulpix anymore after evolving it unless you trade with other people.
To evolve Alolan Vulpix into an Alolan Ninetails, this is what the player must do:
- Put the player’s Alolan Vulpix in the player’s party by talking to the Galaxy Member near the tent on any of the Base Camps and selecting “I want to see my Pokemon” on the prompt or heading to the Pastures in the eastern part of Jubilife Village.
- Then, ensure that the Ice Stone is in the player’s Satchel. If not, the player can access the Item Storage in any of the Base Camps or the Item Storage near the Front Gate in the northeastern part of Jubilife City and move the Ice Stone to the player’s Satchel.
- Next, return to the game and press the up directional button to open the player’s Satchel.
- Select the Ice Stone, select “Use” on the prompt, then select Alolan Vulpix from the player’s party to use the Ice Stone on Alolan Vulpix.
- Confirm on the prompt to evolve Alolan Vulpix; then, just like that, Alolan Vulpix will evolve into an Alolan Ninetails!
Now that the player has an Alolan Ninetails, the player can try to use the Alolan Ninetails to complete other requests, missions, or Arceus’ task for the player to catch ‘em all!