The Jump-throw, as the name suggests, is the act of jumping + throwing at just the perfect interval to achieve smoke lineups and placements; otherwise not possible with just standard nade-throws.
Some of the most useful smoke lineups in CSGO require a perfectly executed Jump-throw to pull off correctly. An example of this is the standard Mirage B-site smoke for Market Window, thrown from Back Alley using a Jump-throw.
While you can master the timing required to execute Jump-throws in CSGO reliably, there is an easier, foolproof way of making sure that smoke lineups that require a Jump-throw will end up where you intend them to be.
How to Jump-throw (Manual Method)
The manual Jump-throw is by far going to be the most simple to do but the most difficult to master.
Jump-throws in CSGO can be a little janky at times. Sometimes, your smoke lineup ends up where you want it to land. Other times, the Smoke Grenade lands someplace else altogether.
You will need to get the timing just right to execute a smoke grenade + jump-throw lineup flawlessly. Here are a few tips to remember:
- The left-click goes first.
- Manual Jump-throws are a two-action affair.
As mentioned above, a manual Jump-throw is more of a rapid-fire, one-two combo, where the left mouse button is clicked first, rather than a simultaneous actuation of the left mouse button and the keyboard space bar (or whichever button you have bound with “Jump” in CSGO)
Just keep these two tips in mind, and you will figure out how to throw your manual Jump-throws correctly in no time.
How to create a Jump-throw Configuration File (Script Bind)
The manual Jump-throw is good and all, but what if we told you that you could execute perfect Jump-throws every time with just a click of a button? Don’t believe us? Then read on!
The beautiful thing about CSGO’s raw game engine and simple interface is the ability to use strings to change in-game settings through Custom Configuration Files.
Through Custom Configuration Files, players can legally (Valve Anti-cheat Friendly) “bind” specific buttons of their choice to certain in-game actions.
One example of this is the ability to change the First-person handedness from left to right on the fly through a keybind.
Adding keybindings through a CFG file is simple.
- Go to your Steam Library:
2. Right-click on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, then choose “Properties”:
3. In this window, click on “Local Files” then choose “Browse”:
4. The CSGO installation folder should pop up:
5. Open the “csgo” folder, then double-click on the “cfg” folder:
7. Copy then paste the “ai.cfg” file into the same folder. A copy of the “ai.cfg” file should appear:
8. Rename the “ai – Copy.cfg” file to “autoexec.cfg”:
9. Open the “autoexec.cfg” file using Notepad. Delete everything currently in it:
10. Copy and paste the following into the “autoexec.cfg” file:
alias “+jumpthrow” “+jump;-attack”
alias “-jumpthrow” “-jump”
bind “c” +jumpthrow
11. Change the word “key” to any button you would like to be used as the Jump-throw keybind in-game.
For this example, we will use “c” on our keyboard as our button of choice.
12. Save the “autoexec.cfg” file, then close the window:
Finally, we need to add a simple Launch Option for CSGO so that it automatically activates the “autoexec.cfg” file upon launching the game:
13. From the Steam Library, right-click on CSGO once again, then choose “Properties”:
14. Under the “General” tab, locate “Launch Options,” then type in the following:
15. Close the window, then launch CSGO:
How to Use the Jump-throw Keybind
Using the Jump-throw Keybind in-game is simple:
- Line up your favorite Jump-throw smoke setup
2. Hold the Left-click button on your mouse:
3. While holding left-click, press or click on your assigned Jump-throw button.
In this case, we pressed “c” while still holding left-click.
Holding the left-click button will prime the Smoke Grenade. Once the keybind for jump-throw is clicked or pressed, your character will automatically throw a perfect Jump-throw smoke every time.
Jump-throws Made Easy
Jump-throws have always been more of a miss than a hit for most people in CSGO. The Jump-throw mechanic is just so janky and unreliable most of the time, which causes players to completely fail at setting up crucial smoke cover for their team.
Fortunately, failed Jump-throw smoke setups are now a thing of the past, thanks to the custom Jump-throw keybind that we have shown you in this article.
The best thing about this custom configuration file for CSGO Jump-throw binds is it is completely VAC or anti-cheat safe. You can use this custom keybind in just about any game mode in CSGO. Even stricter esports clients such as FACEIT allow this custom keybind for Jump-throws in CSGO. Neat!