One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Tho Kayu Shrine or Tho Kayu’s Blessing. The Shrine itself is no challenge at all. As you enter the Tho Kayu Shrine, Link can access the shrine’s chest, and he will be able to access the altar and talk to the monk immediately. The real challenge is getting to the Tho Kayu Shrine. This guide will teach you how to reach and complete the Tho Kayu Shrine, obtain the chest inside, and claim the Spirit Orb.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link can get 120 Spirit Orbs. You can decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or Stamina.
Link will not be able to access the shrine immediately. Still, the Tho Kayu Shrine will emerge from the ground in the Toruma Dunes, just west of Gerudo Town in the Gerudo Desert (the shrine is southwest of the West Barrens or north of Dragon’s Exile). The Tho Kayu Shrine is one of 12 shrines in the Wasteland Tower region.
It is important to mention that the climate in the area is very hot during the day and very cold during the night so make sure that Link has heat-resistant armor, food, or elixirs for the daytime and cold-resistant armor, food, or elixirs for the nighttime.
Before heading to the area, make sure that Link has a lot of strong weapons and armors, as Link would have to battle a big monster to get to the Tho Kayu Shrine.
Upon approaching the Toruma Dunes, you will see four rocks forming a square in the area, and unlit torches are on top of each of the rocks. However, something big will start moving in the sand. So, before Link can access the Tho Kayu Shrine, Link must first defeat a Molduga!
How to Defeat a Molduga
Molduga is a huge monster that swims within the desert’s sand. While most of the time, the Molduga remains under the desert sand, if it senses something on the sand, it will rise to the surface to feed on whatever it can find, like a huge whale jumping out of the water. Running around carelessly in the sand is dangerous if a Molduga is nearby.
To defeat a Molduga, this is what Link must do:
- Look for any rocks in the area, run towards them, and stand on top of it, as this will prevent the Molduga from sensing Link. Link can stand on one of the rocks with the torches.
- Next, press the up directional button, select either of the Remote Bomb Rune abilities, press the L button to conjure one up, and press the R button to throw a Remote Bomb on the sand. The Molduga will then sense the Remote Bomb, jump out of the sand, and swallows it.
- Once the Molduga is up in the air with the Remote Bomb, quickly press the L button to denote the Remote Bomb.
- After that, the Molduga will drop back to the sand and temporarily be stunned. This will then be temporarily stunned. This will then be an opportunity to deal damage to the Molduga. Quickly drop from the rocks and attack the Molduga. It would greatly help to use Urbosa’s Fury (granted that you already have Urbosa’s Fury) to deal huge damage.
- After the Molduga recovers, quickly run away from it as it may try to spin to attack the player.
- After that, the Molduga will dive back under the sand. Link can repeat steps one to four until the Molduga is defeated!
After defeating the Molduga, it will drop a few Molduga Guts and Fins along with a few treasures.
Tho Kayu’s Blessing
To access the Tho Kayu Shrine, Link must light the four torches on top of the rocks in the area. This can be done in a couple of ways: Link can strike the torches with fire-based weapons, Link can create a campfire by dropping Wood and Flint and striking it with a metal weapon, then use a wooden torch (or any wooden weapon) to bring fire to the unlit torches on top of the rocks, Link can aim a normal arrow and let it near a fire to light the end on fire then shoot it on the unlit torches, or Link can shoot fire arrows on the torches to light them up.
After lighting all four torches up, the Tho Kayu Shrine will emerge from the ground in the middle of the four rocks with the torches!
Now that the shrine has emerged, you can enter the Tho Kayu Shrine. This shrine will no longer have a challenge or puzzle inside as the puzzle was already on trying to access the shrine. Upon entering the shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Upon entering the To Quomo Shrine, head up the stairs and open the chest to obtain a Golden Bow.
- Then, just after the chest, continue ahead to the altar, talk to the monk, and claim your Spirit Orb!
As mentioned above, the Tho Kayu Shrine or Tho Kayu’s Blessing is one of 12 shrines in the Wasteland Tower region. The other shrines are the Kay Noh Shrine or the Power of Electricity, the Daqo Chisay Shrine or The Whole Picture, the Dako Tah Shrine or the Electric Path, the Jee Noh Shrine or the On the Move, the Hawa Koth Shrine or The Current Solution, the Dila Maag Shrine or Dila Maag’s Blessing, the Raqa Zunzo Shrine or Raqa Zunzo’s Blessing, the Kema Zoos Shrine or the A Delayed Puzzle, the Suma Sahma Shrine or Suma Sahma’s Blessing, the Korsh O’hu Shrine or Korsh O’hu’s Blessing, and the Misae Suma Shrine or Misae Suma’s Blessing.