Pokémon Sword and Shield introduced many new mechanics to the world of Pokémon, like Dynamax, Gigantamax, Poké Jobs, and more. If you want to delete your save file and start a new game, the game doesn’t explicitly tell you how.
Unlike in previous Pokémon games, you can’t delete your save file in-game. Starting the game immediately loads your save file. So, if you want to start from the beginning in Pokémon Sword/Shield, check your Nintendo Switch’s Data Management in the System Settings.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select System Settings in your Nintendo Switch’s home screen and scroll to Data Management.
- In Data Management, scroll to the bottom and select Delete Save Data.
- All of your save files are found on this screen. Select your save data for Pokémon Sword and/or Shield.
- You can delete a single or all the Pokémon Sword and/or Shield save files in your Nintendo Switch. Select the appropriate one.
- Confirm by pressing Delete Save Data.
- You’re done! You can now play from the beginning in Pokémon Sword/Shield!
There is no way to undo this if it is not apparent already. Once you’ve deleted your save file, all your progress and precious Pokémon will be gone for good. Maybe you have beaten the game already and want to play it again.
Read: How to Change the Nature of Pokémon in Pokémon Sword and Shield
Perhaps you have not played recently and want to experience the story or thrill of catching legendary Pokémon again. Whatever your reason is, nobody is judging you. Go ahead and start a new game!
Despite the game’s flaws (and yes, we are talking about the mediocre graphics), Pokémon Sword and Shield are still fun and arguably one of the best games on the Nintendo Switch. So, if you want to delete your save file and start a new game, play now because you have to Catch ‘Em All over again!