One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Muwo Jeem Shrine or A Modest Test of Strength. As the title of the shrine suggests, this shrine requires Link to prove his strength by defeating a Guardian Scout. This shrine may seem a little intimidating, but it is the same as the other test of strength shrine with just the difference of a stronger Guardian Scout. In this guide, you’ll learn how to defeat the Guardian Scout, complete the Muwo Jeem Shrine, get the chest, and claim the Spirit Orb.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines, and you can exchange them for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. Hyrule has120 Shrines, so Link can get a total of 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Muwo Jeem Shrine can be found on the very top of Cape Cales, which is on the east of Mount Dunsel, north of Lurelin Village (southeast of the Necluda Sea). The Muwo Jeem Shrine is one of eight shrines in the Faron Tower region.
It is worth mentioning that there is a Bokoblin camp on the way up to the edge of Cape Cales, so you can try to defeat them if you want or sneak around them to get past them.
A Modest Test of Strength
Before descending to the Muwo Jeem Shrine, make sure that Link has enough weapons (especially Guardian weapons, or better yet the Master Sword, as they are very effective against Guardians), shields, bows, arrows, and food for health (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering Muwo Jeem Shrine, you will see an entrance to a huge room just ahead of Link. In this big room are giant concrete pillars. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance, and after going through the door, a Guardian Scout will emerge on the ground after the gate closes behind Link. This Guardian Scout is armed with an ax and a shield.
- Now you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with slow attacks with its ax, which you’ll know because it will wind up. You can dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush to inflict major damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers, but this can be evaded by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. Before it charges towards Link, hide behind a pillar so that when it does spin towards Link, it will hit the pillar. This will cause the Guardian Scout to be stunned, allowing Link to deal damage.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it, inflicting damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up in the air. Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you don’t want to do that, you can stand out of the laser’s range, then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (just like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts toward its target, which can inflict major damage. To evade this, sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodging the blasts, or you can fire arrows on its eyes and deal some damage. It is worth mentioning that you can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its Ancient Battle Axe+, and Guardian Shield+ for the taking, along with a couple of Ancient Shafts and Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Knight’s Bow.
- Finally, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb.
As mentioned above, the Muwo Jeem Shrine is one of eight shrines in the Faron Tower region. The other shrines are the Shoda Sah Shrine or the Impeccable Timing, the Qukah Nata Shrine or Qukah Nata’s Blessing, the Shai Utoh Shrine or the Halt the Tilt, the Tawa Jinn Shrine or Tawa Jinn’s Blessing, the Yah Rin Shrine or A Weighty Decision, the Kah Yah Shrine or the Quick Thinking, and the Korgu Chideh Shrine or Korgu Chideh’s Blessing.