Catching fish in Minecraft is both easy and rewarding as you can collect fish as a source of food while potentially obtaining various treasures. Read on to find out how to use a fishing rod in Minecraft.
In Minecraft, fishing is one of the most valuable activities players can do, especially in the early part of a survival game mode. Not only does it reward the player with a decent food source, but it will also give them a chance to obtain something rare that is not normally acquired through regular means. If that catches your interest, all you need is a body of water and a trusty fishing rod.
What Is A Fishing Rod?
Fishing Rod: A fishing rod is a tool mainly used for catching fish but can also be used to hook mobs and lead mounted pigs and striders when baits are attached. It can be obtained through crafting, looting, and trading.
How To Craft A Fishing Rod?
Crafting a fishing rod is easy. There are only a few items required to make a fishing rod: three sticks and two strings. Sticks can be obtained from crafting two planks into sticks, while strings are dropped by spiders when killed. Let’s learn how to craft a fishing rod.
- Obtain three sticks and two strings and prepare them in your inventory.
- Use the crafting table by right-clicking on it to open the crafting grid.
- On the 3×3 crafting grid, place the sticks in a diagonal line and place the strings on the edge in a vertical line similar to the shape of a fishing rod. Refer to the actual pattern in the image below.
- Once the fishing rod appears in the empty slot, click and drag it into your inventory to successfully craft the fishing rod.
How To Use A Fishing Rod?
- Look for any body of water. You can fish anywhere in the overworld from vast oceans to small shallow pools of water.
- Stand in front of the water and hold the fishing rod in your hand by selecting the hotbar key that the fishing rod is on.
- Cast the fishing line by pressing your right-click mouse button while facing the water.
- Once the bobber is in the water, watch it closely. After a few seconds you will start to see small particles of water move towards the bobber.
- When the water particle trail reaches the bobber, it will get pulled down underwater.
- You must immediately reel the fishing line in by pressing right-click with your mouse. Once the bobber gets pulled below the surface of the water, you only have about a second to reel in the fishing line.
- When you reel in the fishing line, either fish, junk, or treasure will be pulled in. The item will immediately go into your inventory.
All Fishing Rod Enchantments
Like any other tool, the fishing rod can be equipped with various enchantments to make fishing easier and more rewarding. Here is a list of all the enchantments that a fishing rod can be equipped with:
- Lure: Equipping the fishing rod with the lure enchantment will help decrease the waiting time for a bite on the hook. Each level of enchantment will decrease the waiting time by five seconds. Its maximum enchantment level is III.
- Luck of the Sea: When a fishing rod has the luck of the sea enchantment, its luck of finding more valuable treasures will increase and will decrease the chances of acquiring “junk”. However, this will also lower the chances of catching fish. Its maximum enchantment level is III.
- Unbreaking: Equipping the unbreaking enchantment in a fishing rod will increase its durability when used. This will also potentially prevent a decrease in durability when the tool is used. Its maximum enchantment level is III.
- Mending: The mending enchantment will restore the durability of the item in exchange for experience points. As catching fish grants a player EXP, a fishing rod equipped with the mending enchantment will possibly have infinite durability. Its maximum enchantment level is I.
- Curse of Vanishing: When a fishing rod has the curse of vanishing enchantment, the tool will disappear from the game completely once the player dies. This enchantment is not manually equipped by the player but rather looted from chests, acquired through fishing, or trading with librarian villagers.