Sony Pictures Virtual Reality and XR Games are teaming up once more to bring players another VR experience based on a Sony movie, and this one looks like it might actually be half-decent.
Zombieland 2 may have been a little bit poop but there’s still some life to be squeezed out of the zombie-comedy franchise yet, and Sony is having another stab at it with Zombieland VR: Headshot Fever.
Zombieland VR: Headshot Fever has been announced for Oculus Quest, Rift, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and PSVR, though the PSVR release will come after the game has launched on other headsets.
- Related: Every PSVR Spotlight Announcement (March 2021)
According to the presser, Zombieland VR is inspired by light-gun games of the 90s (think Time Crisis) and the racing games of today. The trailer, which uses footage captured on Oculus Quest, gives us a look at some of the gameplay areas and weapons that can be used, and even on the Quest, it looks quite good.
Familiar characters like Tallahassee, Wichita, Columbus and Little Rock all return, though it doesn’t sound like they’re being voiced by their original actors.
What’s the story?
The premise of the game is that the Zombieland crew have found you holed up in a tech billionaire’s mansion, locked away in the panic room. They decide to take you on and train you up to take part in the Zombieland Invitational – a zombie-killing racecourse where slick killing is rewarded with big points, upgrades, and a top spot on the leaderboard.
“Being trusted with bringing an iconic Sony Pictures franchise to life is extra rewarding and exciting when you’re a huge fan of Zombieland”, says Bobby Thandi, Founder and CEO of XR Games. “The Zombieland world is a no-nonsense kind of place, and to this end we’ve made one of the purest shooting games for VR. We handcrafted the content, upping replayability, and incorporated mechanics from racing games such as time splits so you know exactly how well you’re doing. It’s about practising ’til you’re perfect. Your speed and accuracy with each shot is imperative to score the fastest time (pro tip: remember the Navy SEALs quote – slow is smooth and smooth is fast). And your performance is being assessed via the witty banter of Tallahassee, Columbus, Wichita, and Little Rock. They’re not gentle with their opinions!”
Zombieland VR: Headshot Fever Features:
- Join the crew – Get trained up by Tallahassee, Wichita, Columbus and Little Rock to take on the undead.
- Adrenaline system – Two headshots in a row makes the world slow, use it to your advantage!
- Global leaderboards – Challenge your friends, beat their times and climb the global leaderboards.
- Powerful weapons – Unlock shotguns, revolvers, assault rifles and more to find your ideal loadout.
- Upgrade your arsenal – Improve your weapons with powerful upgrades and perks.
- The Zombieland Invitational – Take your skills, weapons, upgrades and perks into the fastest, most dangerous zombie-killing racecourse ever devised.
- Built for VR from the ground up – Bringing light-gun shooters back from the dead, and into your home