Journeying into the depths of Hollow Knight, a labyrinth-like world filled with wonders, The Knight can find The Hive. A mysterious area teeming with pulsating life, it calls on adventures with its unique vibe. Yet, the path to this hive of secrets is shrouded in mystery.
This journey demands sharp perception and firm resolve to navigate the complex web of interconnected tunnels and shadowy corridors that hide its hidden entrance. Embark upon an adventure, tracing the clues of bees and the ethereal trails of honey. This guide will discuss how to get to the Hive in Hollow Knight.
The Hive is a vast community of bees located beneath Kingdom’s Edge. This area is made of honey-colored and translucent materials. Furthermore, the walls in the area feature hexagonal shapes, similar to honeycombs.
The Knight will face various enemies in The Hive, including Hivelings, Hive Soldiers, Hive Husks, Hive Guardians, and the optional boss of the area, the Hive Knight.
The Knight may also come across and obtain various items in the Hive. Among these are ten Geo Deposits (two of which the Knight can only obtain through the north entrance), two Grubs (one of which the Knight can only rescue through the north entrance), a Mask Shard, a Whispering Root with 20 essences, and the Hiveblood Charm. The Knight can only get this charm after defeating the Hive Knight.
The Knight must first access the Kingdom’s Edge area to access the Hive. However, the Knight must first obtain the Tram Pass to do that.
The Tram Pass is an item in Hollow Knight that allows the Knight to ride the Tram near the lower part of the Kingdom of Hallownest. This Tram enables the Knight to travel from Deepnest to the Ancient Basin to Kingdom’s Edge.
The Knight can find the Tram Pass in the Failed Tramway near the northwestern corner of Deepnest.
To find the Tram Pass, the Knight must have a specific ability. This ability is the Mantis Claw ability. This allows the Knight to slide down walls and jump off of them. Although not required, it also greatly helps if the Knight has the Mothwing Cloak and Monarch Wings abilities.
The former allows the Knight to dash forwards, and the latter allows the Knight to jump again in midair. In addition, the Knight must also purchase the Lumafly Lantern. This item will help light up very dark rooms. The Lumafly Lantern can be bought from Sly up in Dirtmouth.
The Knight will come across several enemies. The Knight will face Fungoons, Funglings, an Ambloom, Dirtcarvers, and Carver Hatchers on the way.
Path to the Tram Pass
To get the Tram Pass, this is what the Knight must do:
- Start from the Bench in the Queen’s Station Stag Station in Fungal Wastes. Head to the right to exit the room, head up the room using the platforms in the middle, then take the exit in the top right corner. Go to the right and jump over the gap where there is a Fungoon. Jump another gap on the right and drop down the next gap where are two Funglings above. Take the exit below.
- Next, drop down the gap on the left and head down this path. Head to the right and head up the tall platform by nail-bouncing on the purple mushrooms or climbing up the wall using the Mantis Claw ability. Drop down on the right, drop down another gap, and head to the left on the narrow path where the Knight will find an Ambloom.
- At the end of the path, drop down the gap, and drop down another gap on the right. At the bottom, head to the left and climb up the wall to head up a shaft. Drop down the gaps on the left where the Knight will face a Fungoon and a Fungling. Head to the left and take the exit at the end of the path.
- Then, drop down the gap on the left and drop down the gap on the right to land on a platform above a pool of acid. Head to the wall of the platform on the left by nail-bouncing on the purple mushrooms. Here, the Knight will also encounter a Fungling. Climb up the wall to get up the tall platform. Jump and head towards the left, nail-bouncing on a purple mushroom, to get to a safe platform. Above this is a Fungling. Climb up the wall on the left and take the exit above.
- After that, head to the left, jump from the gap and continue heading to the left by nail-bouncing on the purple mushrooms above a pool of acid. Using this method, head towards a safe platform in the lower left corner of the room. From here, jump up on one of the purple mushrooms towards a tiny ledge above. Strike the wall on this ledge several times to break it and reveal a path. Exit this room using this newly-revealed path.
- Next, head to the left before the gap and back to the right. The ground will break and let the Knight fall to an exit.
- At the bottom, the Knight will start using the Lumafly Lantern. Go to the right, where there is a Dirtcarver, then drop down the gap to head down a shaft. At the bottom, there is another Dirtcarver. Head to the left, jump over the thorns, then take the next exit below.
- Upon landing, take either the left or right path and drop down the gap after the Garpede passes. Continue heading down this room, avoiding the Garpedes, where the Knight will face a few Dirtcarvers. At the bottom, head to the left, jump across the gap, and take the exit on the left.
- Then, head up the shaft, go to the left, climb up the next path above, and head to the left. Jump up the platforms where the Knight will reach a large, open part of the room. In this part of the room is a bench on the right side where the Knight can heal and save your progress. From here, take the large exit on the left.
- Afterward, head left, where the Knight will face two Carver Hatchers and a few Dirtcarvers. At the end of the path, climb up the wall to get to a tall platform, go to the left, and jump across the gap towards a tall, thin platform. Drop down on the left, go to the left, drop down a narrow path, go to the right, and drop down another path. At the bottom, go to the right and strike the lever. Then, go to the left and take the newly-opened exit.
- Next, head to the right, where there is another Carver Hatcher, and head up the tall platform. Drop down on the left, where there is another Carver Hatcher, and continue heading to the left. Head up another slightly tall platform and drop down on the left, where there is another Carver Hatcher. Head to the left, climb up the wall, continue heading to the left, and drop down the path with the light.
- Finally, head to the right, where there is a glowing item. Inspect the glowing item, and the Knight will obtain the Tram Pass!
How to Get to The Hive
Now that the Knight has the Tram Pass, the Knight can go to the Kingdom’s Edge and The Hive!
To reach The Hive, the Knight must first have the Mothwing Cloak or Monarch Wings ability. The Mothwing Cloak ability allows the Knight to perform a dash forwards horizontally. The Monarch Wings ability enables the Knight to jump again in mid-air. Either of these abilities will do, but both would also be better.
As for spells, the Knight must have the Vengeful Spirit Spell. This spell allows the Knight to conjure a spirit, let it fly forward, and deal damage. The Shade Soul and the Vengeful Spirit spell’s upgrade would also work.
On the way to the Hive, the Knight encounters only a few enemies. Specifically, just two Hivelings.
Path to The Hive
With the Tram Pass, this is what the Knight must do to reach The Hive:
- From Deepnest, head to the bottom right corner of the map to find the Tram. Here, there is a glowing machine. Interact with the machine, select “Yes” on the prompt to insert the Tram Pass, and the Tram will arrive. Enter the Tram, interact with the glowing button in the rightmost part of the Tram, and select “Yes” on the prompt to start moving.
- The Tram will then arrive in the Ancient Basin area. Inspect the glowing button in the rightmost part of the Tram, and select “Yes” on the prompt to start moving again.
- Then, exit the Tram, and the Knight is now in the southwest corner of Kingdom’s Edge. Go to the right, where there are spike pits. Jump and dash (Mothwing Cloak ability) or double jump (Monarch Wing’s ability) above the spike pits and towards the safe platform on the right.
- Next, go to the right, where there is another spike pit with two Hivelings flying above and a wall on the right. Defeat the two Hivelings to get rid of the nuisance. Using the Soul gained from defeating the Hivelings, cast the Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul Spell on the wall on the right to break it and reveal a pathway.
- After that, jump and dash or double jump towards the newly-opened path, then head to the right to exit. The walls will start having honeycomb designs.
- Then, upon entering the room, the Knight has reached The Hive!
Reaching The Hive is an easy feat. The real challenge is obtaining the Tram Pass and navigating the Deepnest area to get to the Tram. Now that the Knight has reached The Hive, the Knight can explore more of Hallownest or even meet one of the area’s optional bosses, the Hive Knight!