Team Cherry’s Metroidvania action-adventure game, Hollow Knight, follows the journey of a nameless warrior called the Knight as he travels through Hallownest which is now a kingdom in ruins because of a supernatural disease. As the Knight journeys through Hallownest, he will encounter various characters that will help fully unravel the story in the game. One of these characters is a talking mushroom named Mister Mushroom.
Mister Mushroom, who will appear after the Knight has defeated all three Dreamers, can be heard babbling from a distance and will speak gibberish once the Knight finds him and talks to him. In order to understand what Mister Mushroom is saying, the Knight must first equip the Spore Shroom Charm, head back to Mister Mushroom, and talk to him. This must be done before Mister Mushroom leaves and goes to a different location.
After finding Mister Mushroom all throughout Hollownest, a secret cutscene will be unlocked after beating the game.
To get a hint of Mister Mushroom’s locations, there is a glowing glyph called Riddle Tablet found inside a secret room in the southeastern part of Ancient Basin that, if the Knight reads it with the Spore Shroom Charm equipped, will give clues as to where the Knight can find Mister Mushroom, who the Riddle Tablet refers to as Master Herald. But, to save you some time trying to solve the riddles of the Riddle Tablet (and you are also reading a guide about it anyway), it would be better to tell you where the Knight can find Mister Mushroom: in Fungal Wastes, in Kingdom’s Edge, in Deepnest, in Howling Cliffs, in Ancient Basin, in Fog Canyon, and in King’s Pass.
In this guide, the player will learn how to find Mister Mushroom in Ancient Basin!
As mentioned above, before the Knight can find Mister Mushroom in Ancient Basin, the Knight must first defeat all three Dreamers, found in the Teacher’s Archives in Fog Canyon, in the Watcher’s Spire in the City of Tears, and in the Beast’s Den in Ancient Basin, and found Mister Mushroom in Fungal Wastes, Kingdom’s Edge, Deepnest, and Howling Cliffs.
The fifth location where the Knight can find Mister Mushroom is in Ancient Basin and Mister Mushroom can be found near a wall on the western side of Ancient Basin.
The Knight will encounter lots of various enemies in Ancient Basin but the Knight will specifically encounter the following enemies on the way to Mister Mushroom: Shadow Creepers and the Broken Vessel. Fortunately, you have probably already beaten the Broken Vessel this late in the game as this is also the path to the Monarch Wings ability.
Before the Knight can find Mister Mushroom in the area, it is required that the Knight has the Crystal Heart ability, which allows the Knight to fly and dash continuously and horizontally until the Knight hits a wall, hits an enemy that was not killed by the hit, or if the player intentionally stops the dash. Although not required, it will also help if the Knight has the Mantis Claw ability, which allows the Knight to cling to walls and jump off of them, the Mothwing Cloak ability, which allows the Knight to perform a horizontal dash forwards, and the Monarch Wings ability, which allows the Knight to perform a secondary jump in mid-air. With these abilities, finding Mister Mushroom in Ancient Basin will be no challenge at all.
In order to find Mister Mushroom in Ancient Basin, this is what the Knight must do:
- From Deepnest or Kingdom’s Edge, enter the Tram and interact with the glowing button in the rightmost (or in the leftmost if you start from Kingdom’s Edge) part of the Tram to go to the Ancient Basin.
- Next, exit the Tram, head to the left, and drop down the exit on the floor.
- Then, drop down from the small platform, head to the left, jump across the gap towards the platform below on the left, continue heading to the left, drop down the next shaft where the Knight will encounter a Shadow Creeper on the wall on the left, at the bottom the Knight will encounter another Shadow Creeper, head to the left, drop down the next gap, continue heading left upon landing, drop down the next shaft where the Knight will encounter another Shadow Creeper on the wall on the left, then take the exit on the right upon landing.
- Next, head to the left and jump up the platform where there is a Bench. Sit on the Bench to heal the Knight and save your progress.
- After that, head to the left where there will be a big opening with spikes on the bottom and on the ceiling, use the Crystal Heart ability to dash and fly all the way to the right, cancel the Crystal Heart ability by pressing the assigned JUMP button once the Knight is on the long platform near the end of the path so that the Knight will not hit the spikes on the wall, head to the left, jump up the platform above the spikes, then take the exit on the left.
- Next, head to the left, jump across the gap where the Knight will encounter another Shadow Creeper, continue heading to the left, jump up the next platform where the Knight will encounter another Shadow Creeper, drop down the platform on the left, continue heading to the left, jump across another gap, continue heading to the left where the Knight will be in a large area where the Broken Vessel was fought and defeated, then take the exit on the left.
- Then, head to the left, drop down the next gap where the Knight can start hearing the babbles of Mister Mushroom which means that he is nearby, upon landing drop down the gap on the left, drop down another gap on the left, and, finally, the Knight will find Mister Mushroom near the wall on the right!
As mentioned above, the Knight should have the Spore Shroom charm equipped otherwise Mister Mushroom will speak gibberish.
Now that the Knight has found Mister Mushroom’s fifth location, the Knight can now strike him once so that he will face forwards and talk to him. It will seem like Mister Mushroom is talking to someone else or himself and will not acknowledge the Knight.
After that, Mister Mushroom will leave and proceed to his next location which is in Fog Canyon! The Knight is now one step closer to unlocking a secret cutscene!