The Gutanbac Shrine, also known as The Ability to Rise in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, is one of the initial Shrines in the game. Within the Shrine, Rauru will bestow the Ascend ability to Link. To complete this shrine, Link must use the Ascend ability to overcome the shrine’s numerous challenges. Then, with this ability, Link must reach the altar at the end of the shrine. The Gutanbac Shrine is quite simple to finish. This tutorial will guide you through completing the Gutanbac Shrine, obtaining the treasure chest inside, and claiming the Light of Blessing!
Before attempting to complete this Shrine, there are some things that Link must first do. Link must first go to the Temple of Time as part of the “Find Princess Zelda” Main Quest. When Link arrives at the Temple of Time, Rauru, the owner of Link’s new right arm, informs Link that to open the temple doors, Link must first restore the arm’s power. Rauru will continue to say that Link must complete Shrines to accomplish so. A new Main Quest dubbed “The Closed Door” will begin afterward.
Link must then complete the Ukouh Shrine, which Rauru points to in the preceding cutscene. After finishing the Ukouh Shrine, Rauru will reappear and tell Link that he needs to complete two more Shrines before entering the Temple of Time. After that, Link can proceed to both the In-isa Shrine and the Gutanbac Shrine!
Link can locate the Gutanbac Shrine up a mountain in the eastern part of the Great Sky Island. This Shrine is just above the Bottomless Cave northeast of the Room of Awakening. To be more specific, Link can find the Gutanbac Shrine in these coordinates: 0709, -1381, 1584. The Gutanbac Shrine is one of four Shrines that Link can find on the Great Sky Island.
It is important to note that the area where the Gutanbac Shrine is located is snowy. This means that Link must-have items that make him resistant to cold. Among these items are cold-resistant food or cold-resistant elixirs. Link can easily cook some cold resistance food by cooking the Spicy Peppers that can be found around the area.
Alternatively, Link can acquire the Archaic Warm Greaves to get cold resistance. This item can be found in a treasure chest of a large hollow tree just west of the Gutenbac Shrine. It is easier to get this item once Link has the Ascend ability and has completed the Gutenbac Shrine. However, it is still possible to get this item by attaching tree logs from trees in the area, placing them vertically on the platform to get to the large hollow tree, and climbing up it.
The Ability To Rise
Once Link enters the Gutanbac Shrine, Rauru will appear again and bestow upon Link the Ascend ability. This ability will allow Link to travel upward what is directly above Link through solid materials and come up on top of it. Link cannot use the Ascend ability if the surface above is too far away.
The Gutanbac Shrine serves as an instructional area for the Ascend ability. As a result, Link will rely heavily on this ability to complete this shrine.
Gutanbac Shrine Guide
This is what Link needs to do to complete the Gutanbac Shrine:
- Head down the stairs, and Link will find an open area under a platform. Go under the platform, hold down the L button, and select the Ascend ability with the right stick. Move so that the glow/target above Link is colored blue-green, and press the A button to activate the Ascend ability. Once Link is done passing through the surface, press the A button again to emerge to the surface.
- In this next part, Link will find two tall platforms up on the wall on the right. When facing the wall with the two platforms, go under the platform on the left. Press the L button to aim the Ascend ability, move so that the target above is blue-green, then press the A button to head up and pass through the platform. At the top, press the A button to emerge, and Link will find a treasure chest there. Open the chest to obtain a Stone Axe.
- After that, drop down from the platform and go under the taller platform on the right. Press the L button to aim the Ascend ability, move so that the target above is blue-green, then press the A button to head up and pass through this platform. Once through, press the A button to emerge to the surface.
- Then, Link will find a Construct. Defeat this Construct to continue. Once defeated, the Construct will drop an Old Wooden Bow, a Soldier Construct Horn, and a Zonai Charge.
- Next, on the bottom of the wall on the right, Link will find two wooden crates. Attack the wooden crates to break them and reveal an opening. Go inside this opening, Press the L button to aim the Ascend ability, move so that the glow above is blue-green, then press the A button to head up and pass-through this surface. Once Link has passed through, press the A button to emerge to the surface with another treasure chest. Open the chest to get a Construct Bow.
- After that, drop from this platform and head towards the opposite side of the room. Link will find a large, rectangular concrete slab standing on a platform. This large concrete slab is being held up by ropes attached to the ground. Attack the ropes to break them and let the large concrete slab topple down towards the next platform. Go under this now-toppled concrete slab, Press the L button to aim the Ascend ability, move so that the target above is blue-green, then press the A button to go up and pass through the concrete slab. Once through, press the A button to emerge on top.
- Then, continue on the path with a moving square platform up a wall. Go near the wall, press the L button to aim the Ascend ability, and wait for the moving platform to be above Link. Once the moving platform is above Link and the target above is blue-green, quickly press the A button to go up and pass through the moving platform. Press the A button after Link is through to emerge on top.
- Next, there is a stationary platform up the wall near the middle. While on top of this moving platform, press the L button to ready the Ascend ability and wait for the moving platform to be underneath the stationary platform above. Once Link is under the stationary platform and the glow above is blue-green, quickly press the A button to move up and through the platform. After Link is through, press the A button to emerge to the surface.
- Finally, approach the altar, press the A button to examine, and Link will be given a Light of Blessing!
The Gutenbac Shrine is most likely the third Shrine that the player has completed. After this Shrine, Rauru will again appear and say that Link has restored some power to his new arm. Because of that, Link can now head to the Temple of Time and open the door.
As mentioned above, the Gutanbac Shrine, known as The Ability to Rise, is one of four Shrines on the Great Sky Island. The other shrines in this area are the Ukouh Shrine, otherwise called The Ability to Create, the In-isa Shrine, otherwise called The Ability to Combine, and the Nachoyah Shrine, otherwise called The Ability to Rewind.