In Supergiant Games’ Hades, certain NPCs give Zagreus items that can help him in his escape attempts called Keepsakes. These Keepsakes give Zagreus special benefits every time they are equipped on an Underworld escape run, but they can only be equipped one at a time. In this guide, you will learn how to obtain these Keepsakes (SPOILER ALERT: there will be characters mentioned that appear later in the game).
To obtain these Keepsakes, Zagreus must give certain NPCs Nectar, one of the game’s Artifact currencies which can be found and purchased in the Underworld for the first time. Early in the game, you can unlock the Codex of the Underworld, wherein you can check Zagreus’ relationship with other characters in the game. This can be determined by the number of red hearts below the character’s name. Each heart represents one Nectar (or later on, Ambrosia) given to them by Zagreus. If you have not provided an NPC a single Nectar and the first heart under their name in the Codex has a purple bow, that means, after giving them Nectar, they will provide you with a Keepsake.
Nectar can be obtained by going on Underworld escape runs (raising Heat in the Pact of Punishment can help), selecting certain Boons, fishing in Elysium, purchasing from Charon’s Shop or Wretched Broker (regularly check with the Wretched Broker for better deals), and completing prophecies from the Fated List of Minor Prophecies (click this for an in-depth guide on Nectar farming).
This applies to all characters that give a Keepsake except for Hades. His Keepsake can only be obtained by giving him two Nectar. Zagreus can give him the first one anytime, but, to provide him with the second one, you must first complete the main storyline.
Here are all the Keepsakes Zagreus can obtain, the effects of each Keepsake, and who he can obtain them from:
- Old Spiked Collar – Gain more health. This is obtained from Cerberus.
- Myrmidon Bracer – Take less damage if attacked from the front but will take more damage if attacked from the back. This is obtained from Achilles.
- Black Shawl – Deal more damage when attacking undamaged enemies and when attacking enemies from behind. This is obtained from Nyx.
- Pierced Butterfly – Gain more damage for each chamber cleared without taking damage. This is obtained from Thanatos.
- Bone Hourglass – Increases the duration of items purchased from the Well of Charon. This is obtained from Charon.
- Chthonic Coin Purse – Receive Obols to spend. This is obtained from Hypnos.
- Skull Earring – Deal more damage when Zagreus’ HP is at 35% or less. This is obtained from Megaera.
- Distant Memory – Deal more damage to enemies attacked from a distance. This is obtained from Orpheus.
- Happy Feather Duster – Increases the chances of healing items dropping when breaking urns. This is obtained from Dusa.
- Lucky Tooth – Restore HP to a certain degree after Zagreus’ HP is depleted (can only be used once per run). This is obtained from Skelly.
- Thunder Signet – The next boon received will be from Zeus and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Zeus.
- Conch Shell – The next boon received will be from Poseidon and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Poseidon.
- Owl Pendant – The next boon received will be from Athena and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Athena.
- Eternal Rose – The next boon received will be from Aphrodite and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Aphrodite.
- Blood-Filled Vial – The next boon received will be from Ares and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Ares.
- Adamant Arrowhead – The next boon received will be from Artemis and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Artemis.
- Overflowing Cup – The next boon received will be from Dionysus and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Dionysus.
- Lambent Plume – Gain Move Speed and Dodge Chance for every chamber completed quickly. This is obtained from Hermes.
- Frostbitten Horn – The next boon received will be from Demeter and will have a higher chance for it to be Rare or better. This is obtained from Demeter.
- Cosmic Egg – Zagreus may enter Chaos Gates without damage, and blessings received have a higher chance of being Rare or better. This is obtained from Chaos.
- Shattered Shackle – Zagreus’ Attack, Special, and Cast deal more damage while not empowered by a Boon. This is obtained from Sisyphus.
- Evergreen Acorn – Take no damage for the first few times the final boss of each area attacks. This is obtained from Eurydice.
- Broken Spearpoint – Become impervious to attacks for a while after taking damage. This is obtained from Patroclus.
- Pom Blossom – Level up a random boon after a few chambers. This is obtained from Persephone.
- Sigil of the Dead – Zagreus’ God Gauge starts a certain percentage full, and his Call becomes Hades’ Aid, which makes him invisible. This is obtained from Hades.
It is important to mention that the effects of each Keepsake can be increased by ranking them up. A Keepsake will permanently rank up after clearing a certain number of chambers while a Keepsake is equipped. Clear a total of 25 chambers with a Keepsake to upgrade it to rank 2 (two stars), then clear a total of 50 more chambers to upgrade a Keepsake to rank 3 (three stars).
All the Keepsakes Zagreus has obtained can be equipped and unequipped by interacting with the display case beside Zagreus’ weapons in the courtyard just before starting your run.
You can also change the equipped Keepsake after each area, but to do this, Zagreus must first purchase the Keepsake Collection, Regional from the House Contractor for a few Gems. With this, Zagreus can access the Keepsake Collection display case after defeating the boss of an area. It is worth mentioning, however, that after changing the equipped Keepsake after an area, the display case will close, and you can no longer change the equipped Keepsake. So it is better to decide before selecting a Keepsake or be careful not to equip the unintended Keepsake.
It is easy to obtain these Keepsakes; the only hard part is finding the characters to give Nectar. These Keepsakes are insanely useful too, and you can equip Keepsakes that match your playstyle. Whether you’re trying to farm for items or survive your run, there’s a Keepsake.