Team Cherry’s Metroidvania action-adventure game, Hollow Knight, follows the journey of a nameless warrior called the Knight as he travels through Hallownest, which is now a kingdom ruined by a supernatural disease. As the Knight journeys through Hallownest, he encounters various characters that will help fully unravel the story in the game. One of these characters is a talking mushroom named Mister Mushroom.
Mister Mushroom, who will appear after the Knight has defeated all three Dreamers, can be heard babbling from a distance and speaking gibberish once the Knight finds him and talks to him. To understand what Mister Mushroom is saying, the Knight must first equip the Spore Shroom Charm, head back to Mister Mushroom, and talk to him. This must be done before Mister Mushroom leaves and goes to a different location.
After finding Mister Mushroom throughout Hollownest, a secret cutscene will be unlocked after beating the game.
To get a hint of Mister Mushroom’s locations, there is a glowing glyph called Riddle Tablet found inside a secret room in the southeastern part of Howling Cliffs that, if the Knight reads it with the Spore Shroom Charm equipped, will give clues as to where the Knight can find Mister Mushroom, who the Riddle Tablet refers to as Master Herald. But, to save you some time trying to solve the riddles of the Riddle Tablet (and you are also reading a guide about it anyway), it would be better to tell you where the Knight can find Mister Mushroom: in Fungal Wastes, in Kingdom’s Edge, in Deepnest, in Howling Cliffs, in Ancient Basin, in Fog Canyon, and King’s Pass.
In this guide, the player will learn how to find Mister Mushroom in Howling Cliffs!
As mentioned above, before the Knight can find Mister Mushroom in Howling Cliffs, the Knight must first defeat all three Dreamers, found in the Teacher’s Archives in Fog Canyon, in the Watcher’s Spire in the City of Tears. The Beast’s Den in Howling Cliffs, and found Mister Mushroom in Fungal Wastes, Kingdom’s Edge, and Deepnest.
The fourth location where the Knight can find Mister Mushroom is in Howling Cliffs, and Mister Mushroom can be found on the right side of Nailmaster Mato inside his hut in the top part of Howling Cliffs.
The Knight will encounter various enemies in Howling Cliffs, but the Knight will specifically encounter the following enemies on the way to Mister Mushroom: Crawlids, Tiktiks, and Vengeflies.
Before the Knight can find Mister Mushroom in the area, it is required that the Knight has the Mantis Claw ability, which allows the Knight to cling to walls and jump off of them, and the Mothwing Cloak ability, which enables the Knight to perform a horizontal dash forwards, or the Monarch Wings ability, which allows the Knight to perform a secondary jump in mid-air. The Knight must also purchase the Lumafly Lantern from Sly in Dirtmouth to light up very dark rooms. Finding Mister Mushroom in Howling Cliffs will be no challenge with this item and these abilities.
To find Mister Mushroom in Howling Cliffs, this is what the Knight must do (this is assuming that this is the player’s first time heading to Howling Cliffs):
- From the Bench in the middle of Dirtmouth, head to the left, then, upon reaching the wall, jump and climb up the wall with the help of the Mantis Claw ability. At the top of the wall, use the Mothwing Cloak ability to dash towards the platform or the Monarch Wings ability to perform a secondary jump towards the next platform, then take the entrance on the left.
- Upon entering the room, the Knight is now back in the King’s Pass area, which is the very first area in the game. Head to the left, drop down on the next gap, head to the right, drop down to the gap, continue dropping down to the platforms below on the left, and head to the bottom on the right side of the spikes.
- Next, continue to the right of what looks like a wall, and the Knight will be in a hidden part of the area. Continue to the right, jump over the spikes with the help of the Monarch Wings ability to double jump or the Mothwing Cloak ability to dash forwards in mid-air, and drop down on the gap where the Knight will start using the Lumafly Lantern to light up the area, and head to the left where you will find a Geo Chest which, after hitting it, will give off the Fury of the Fallen charm and not Geos.
- After that, head to the left, then drop on the narrow gap, continue to the left where the Knight will encounter a Crawlid, continue to head and jump on the platform on the left where the Knight will encounter another Crawlid, jump across the gap, and head to the left until the Knight reaches a large area.
- Next, continue to the left of what looks like the end of the path, and the Knight will be in a hidden part of the area with a Geo Deposit. Head up the narrow shaft with the help of the Mantis Claw ability (watch out for the spikes!), then take the exit at the top.
- Then, head to the next platform above with the help of the Mantis Claw ability to cling to the wall on the right and jump up, then continue to the left, where you will find a wooden structure holding up a wall on the other side. Strike the wooden structure several times to destroy it and open up the path.
- After that, continue to the left and up the platforms, where the Knight will encounter another Crawlid, and the Knight has now arrived in Howling Cliffs! Continue to the left, where the Knight will encounter another Crawlid, then drop down on the gap and head to the bottom of this area.
- At the bottom, a narrow path leads to the right on the right side of the spikes. Head to the right, and you will see an entrance to a house. Enter the house, and you will see a Bench (this is also the only Bench in Howling Cliffs). Sit on the Bench to heal and save your progress.
- After that, head to the right, and, finally, just ahead of Nailmaster Mato, you will find Mister Mushroom!
As mentioned above, the Knight should have the Spore Shroom charm equipped. Otherwise, Mister Mushroom will speak gibberish.
Now that the Knight has found Mister Mushroom’s fourth location, the Knight can now strike him once so that he will face forwards and talk to him. It will seem like Mister Mushroom is talking to someone else or himself and will not acknowledge the Knight.
After that, Mister Mushroom will leave and proceed to his next location, which is in Ancient Basin! The Knight is now one step closer to unlocking a secret cutscene!