One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Dah Hesho Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength. As the title of the shrine suggests, this shrine requires Link to prove his strength by defeating a Guardian Scout. This shrine may seem intimidating, but it is pretty easy to complete. In this guide, you’ll learn how to beat the Guardian Scout, complete the Dah Hesho Shrine, get the chest, and claim the Spirit Orb.
Link receives Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines, and you can exchange them for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. There are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, so Link can also get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Dah Hesho Shrine can be found near the edge of a cliff south of the large part of Lake Akkala and southeast of Akkala Tower and Akkala Highlands (or south of Tarrey Town after Link has completed it). The Dah Hesho Shrine is one of eight shrines in the Akkala Tower region.
A Minor Test of Strength
Before descending to the Dah Hesho Shrine, make sure Link has enough weapons (especially Guardian weapons, or better yet the Master Sword, as they are very effective against Guardians), shields, bows, arrows, and food for health (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering Dah Hesho Shrine, you will see an entrance to a huge room just ahead of Link. In this big room are giant concrete pillars. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance, and after going through the door, a Guardian Scout will emerge on the ground after the gate closes behind Link. This Guardian Scout is armed with a battle axe.
- You must kill the Guardian Scout to proceed. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with slow attacks with its battle axe, which you’ll know because it will wind up. You can dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush to inflict major damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers, but this can be evaded by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. Before it charges towards Link, hide behind a pillar so that when it does spin towards Link, it will hit the pillar. This will stun the Guardian Scout and then be an opportunity to deal damage.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up in the air. Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you don’t want to do that, you can stand out of the laser’s range, then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts toward its target, which can inflict major damage. Sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodging the blasts to evade this. Alternatively, you can fire arrows toward its eyes and deal some damage. It is worth mentioning that you can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its Ancient Battle Axe for the taking and a couple of Ancient Shafts and Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar, where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Giant Ancient Core.
- Finally, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb.
The Dah Hesho Shrine, or A Minor Test of Strength is one of eight shrines in the Akkala Tower region. The other shrines are the Katosa Aug Shrine or the Katosa Aug Apparatus, the Ze Kasho Shrine or the Ze Kasho Apparatus, the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine or A Major Test of Strength, the Ke’nai Shakah shrine or A Modest Test of Strength, the Zuna Kai Shrine or Zuna Kai’s Blessing, the Tu Ka’loh shrine or Tu Ka’loh’s Blessing, and the Ritaag Zumo shrine or Ritaag Zumo’s Blessing.