One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Dah Kaso Shrine or A Minor Test in Strength. As the title of the shrine suggests, this shrine requires Link to prove his strength by killing a Guardian Scout and completing the shrine. This shrine may seem intimidating, but you will learn to complete the Dah Kaso Shrine, get the chest, and claim the Spirit Orb in this guide.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. You can exchange the Spirit Orbs you obtain for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are a total of 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link will get a total of 120 Spirit Orbs. You can decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or Stamina.
Link can find the Dah Kaso Shrine under the Digdogg Suspension Bridge. You can find it just west of the Great Plateau region. Link can reach this shrine by fast traveling to the Keh Namut Shrine of the Great Plateau region or the Jolooh Nah Shrine of the Gerudo Tower region, then paragliding down to the Digdogg Suspension Bridge.
It is worth noting that the climate in Keh Namut Shrine is cold, so you would need some cold-resistant clothes (or not if you do not mind getting a few hearts damaged), and there is a cliff near Jolooh Nah Shrine that you need to climb to paraglide to the Dah Kaso Shrine, so you have to watch out for your stamina.
Another way of reaching the Dah Kaso Shrine is by fast traveling to the Rota Ooh Shrine of the Central Tower region and heading south on the path or fast traveling to the Jee Noh Shrine of the Wasteland Tower region and heading north. On these paths, however, there are a few monsters that you will encounter, like a few Moblins, Bokoblins, and even a Hinox. Whether you fight them or run away from them, the decision is up to you.
Once you reach the middle of the Digdogg Suspension Bridge, you have to jump off the bridge just next to the big and tall island. Then, glide and drop down to the Dah Kaso Shrine.
The Dah Kaso Shrine is one of eight shrines in the Central Tower region of Hyrule.
A Minor Test in Strength
Before descending to the Dah Kaso Shrine, make sure that Link has enough weapons, shields, bows, arrows, and food for health (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering Dah Kaso Shrine, you will see an entrance to a huge room just ahead of Link. In this big room are giant concrete pillars. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance, and after going through the door, the gate will close behind Link. After it closes, a Guardian Scout will emerge from the ground. This Guardian Scout will be armed with a spear.
- Now, you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with slow attacks. It will attack with its spear with slow stabs, which you will know because it will wind up. You can dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush to inflict major damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers, which can be dodged by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. Before it charges towards Link, hide behind a pillar. That way, it will hit the pillar when it spins toward Link. This will stun the Guardian Scout and is an opportunity to deal damage.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it, which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and use the Paraglider to go high up in the air.
- Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow at its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you do not want to do that, you can simply stand out of the laser’s range. Then, aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye. This will stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- The Guardian Scout turns blue and absorbs energy when you have nearly depleted its health. During this time, it will target Link with a red laser (just like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts towards its target, which can inflict major damage.
- To evade this, sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodging the blasts. You can also fire arrows at its eyes and deal some damage. It is worth mentioning that you can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its Guardian Spear and a couple of Ancient Shafts and Screws.
- Continue towards the altar, where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain an Ancient Core.
- Then, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb.
As mentioned above, the Dah Kaso Shrine, or A Minor Test in Strength, is one of eight shrines in the Central Tower region. The other shrines are the Wahgo Katta Shrine, or “The Metal Connections;” the Rota Ooh Shrine, or “The Passing of the Gates;” the Kaam Ya’tak Shrine, or “The Trial of Power;” the Katah Chuki Shrine, or “A Minor Test of Strength;” the Noya Neha Shrine or “A Minor Test Of Strength;” the Saas Ko’sah Shrine or “A Major Test of Strength;” and the Namika Ozz Shrine or “A Modest Test of Strength.”