One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Ka’o Makagh Shrine or the Metal Doors Open the Way. This Shrine requires Link to, as its name suggests, literally use metal doors to traverse through it. In this guide, you’ll learn how to access and complete Ka’o Makagh Shrine, obtain the chests inside, and claim a Spirit Orb.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. You can exchange the Spirit Orbs for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are a total of 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link will be able to collect a total of 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Ka’o Makagh Shrine can be found above a hill just south of Highland Stable which is located at the south of Hyrule. The Shrine is located southeast of Lake Tower and south of Lake Hylia. To get there, follow the path that crosses Lake Hylia and Lake Tower, and on the Y-junction in Faron Woods, choose the path that leads south. Keep following that path until you reach Highland Stable and the Ka’o Makagh Shrine. The Ka’o Makagh Shrine is one of six shrines in the Lake Tower region.
Metal Doors Open the Way
Upon entering the shrine, you will see a big metal gate in front of Link. In order to complete the Ka’o Makagh Shrine, this is what you must do:
- Press the up directional button and select the Magnesis Rune ability. Then, move a little bit forward and press L to aim Magnesis Rune ability on one of the metal doors. Press A to activate the ability and pull back to open the doors.
- Enter the next room where you will see several platforms that cannot be climbed up on (but the one on the left has a flight of stairs on it), another huge metal door on the left, and the altar at the top of a higher platform in the distance. There are also two Guardian Scouts in the room. Head to the right where you will encounter one Guardian Scout. Kill it to obtain its weapon and a few Ancient Parts.
- Next, head back towards the left side of the room – the side where the other huge metal door is located – and there, you will encounter the other Guardian Scout. Defeat it to obtain a few Ancient Parts.
- After that, aim the Magnesis Rune ability on one of the huge metal doors, press A to activate it, and pull back to open the door. Inside you will see a chest. Open the chest to obtain a Traveler’s Bow.
- Then, look back on the metal doors. To the right, you will see that it is connected to some stacked breakable concrete blocks. Press the up directional button and select one of the Remote Bomb Rune abilities, press the L button to conjure one up, move towards the breakable concrete blocks and press the A button to set the Remote Bomb down near them. Then, go back a small distance and press the L button again to detonate the Remote Bomb. This will break the concrete blocks. If not all of the breakable concrete blocks are destroyed, simply repeat this process.
- After that, press the up directional button and select the Magnesis Rune ability again. Aim and activate Magnesis on the right metal door. With the concrete blocks destroyed, you can now move the metal door to about anywhere in the room.
- Next, while moving the big metal door, go forward until you reach the platform on the right with the flight of stairs. Go up the stairs, face the direction of the altar, set the big metal door down to create a bridge to the next platform, and walk across to the next platform.
- Then, on the left you will see a higher platform with another stack of concrete blocks. Unlike the previous stack, this one is unbreakable, but it will have a chest on top. To reach that, use the Magnesis Rune ability again on the big metal door and set it down to create a bridge ramp from the platform that Link is on to the higher platform with the concrete blocks and the chest.
- After that, go to the higher platform. From there, you can do two things: you can either use the metal door to hit the tower of concrete blocks and bring the chest down; or you can simply use Magnesis on the chest to bring it down. Open the chest to obtain an Opal.
- Next, go back down to the previous platform using the metal door and activate the Magnesis Rune ability on it to carry it. Face the direction of the altar and set the metal door down to make another bridge ramp from the platform that Link is on to the altar’s other platform.
- Finally, go up the ramp and head to the altar. There, you can talk to the monk and claim your Spirit Orb!
As mentioned above, the Ka’o Makagh Shrine or the Metal Doors Open the Way is one of six shrines in the Lake Tower region. The other shrines are the Ya Naga Shrine or Shatter the Heavens, the Pumaag Nitae Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength, the Shae Katha Shrine or Shae Katha’s Blessing, the Ishto Soh shrine or the Bravery’s Grasp, and the Shoqa Tatone Shrine or A Modest Test of Strength.