One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Kuh Takkar Shrine or the Melting Ice Hazard. This shrine requires Link to bring an ice cube to the altar while passing through several fiery obstacles. The shrine may seem confusing, but you’ll learn how to complete the shrine, get the chest, and claim the Spirit Orb in this guide.
Link will receive Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines, and you can exchange them for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. Since Hyrule has 120 shrines, Link will be able to get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Kuh Takkar Shrine can be found near Laparo Mesa, in the eastern part of Gerudo Highlands (northeast of Gerudo Tower or southwest of Satori Mountain).
Upon arriving at the Kuh Takkar Shrine, you will see that the shrine is frozen in ice. To access it, you can set up a campfire (set down some Wood and Flint and hit them with a metal weapon) near the ice, strike the ice with flame-based weapons, or shoot some Fire or Bomb arrows on it to melt the ice. A tip that can help save items or the durability of your weapons is to equip a Flameblade or Great Flameblade; then, with it just equipped and on Link’s back (not on his hands ready to strike), let Link’s back and the Flameblade touch the ice and it will slowly melt.
After melting the ice, Link can finally enter the Kuh Takkar Shrine.
The Kuh Takkar Shrine is one of six shrines in the Gerudo Tower region.
Melting Ice Hazard
Upon entering the Kuh Takkar shrine, Link will be in a room with ramps and platforms around the edges of the room that spirals up and leads to the altar and the monk. Just ahead of Link is a large ice cube. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Go towards the ice cube, and the monk of the shrine will tell Link to offer him a block of ice. Only then will Link be able to access the altar.
- Pick up the block of ice and bring it to the southeast side of the shrine, where there will be a flight of stairs up a platform.
- Upon going up the stairs, you will see three holes on the ground constantly bursting with fire. While carrying the block of ice, pass through the pillars of fire without hitting the fire.
- Next, go forward, and you will see a rotating cube that is also bursting out flames on opposite sides. When it’s clear, throw the block of ice forwards to continue on the path, as it is safer to let the block of ice pass the fire first than while Link is carrying the block of ice. After that, let Link pass through when it’s clear he won’t get hit by the fire.
- After that, continue on the path and up the ramp, and you will see another set of holes bursting with fire on the wall. To overcome this obstacle, put the block of ice down and let Link pass under the fires. Continue on the path until he reaches the part where part of the floor is lava. Here, press the up directional button, select the Magnesis Rune ability, press the L button to aim, aim at the huge metal cube dipped in the lava, and press A to activate the skill. Then, get it out of lava, bring it to the fire bursting from the wall, and use the huge metal cube to block the fires. Go back to the block of ice, pick it up, and pass through the now blocked fires bursting out of the wall.
- Then, continue on the path until you reach the part where part of the floor is lava again. Here, set the block of ice down, use the Magnesis Rune ability again, activate it on the huge metal cube blocking the fires from earlier, and bring it back to its original position in the lava to create a bridge. After that, pick up the block of ice and cross the lava using the giant metal cube as a bridge.
- Shortly after that, you will find another set of holes bursting fire from the wall, but it is covering the whole path this time. To cross this, set the block of ice down, pick up the huge metal cube with the Magnesis Rune ability again, and use it to block the fire bursting from the wall. After that, pick up the block of ice and pass through the now blocked fires bursting out of the wall.
- Next, continue on the path, and you will reach another ramp leading up. On the left side of the ramp, you will see a huge pillar with an opening in the middle with another set of fires bursting from the floor. Set the block of ice down, use the Magnesis Rune ability on the huge metal cube from earlier, and use it to block the fire on this pillar. Get up on the ramp, then jump and glide towards the opening because of the enormous metal cube blocking the fire. Upon landing, you will find a chest. Open the chest to obtain a Frostblade.
- After that, drop down on the gap behind the chest, then go around the pillar and you will find a ladder that leads up to the ramp earlier. Climb up the ladder and the ramp.
- Next, you will see another set of holes with fire bursting from the top. To cross this, pick up the block of ice, go near the “curtain” of fire, and throw it forwards but make sure the block of ice completely crosses the fire. This will melt the block of ice a little bit, but it will still survive. Then, pick up the huge metal cube again from earlier using the Magnesis Rune ability, pull it towards Link so that he is carrying the huge metal cube on top of him, then cross the “curtain” of fire with the huge metal cube as something like an umbrella.
- After crossing that last fiery obstacle, set the huge metal cube down, pick up the block of ice, and continue on the path to the altar. When Link and the block of ice are near the gate, the gate will be opened.
- Finally, go near the altar, talk to the monk, and claim your Spirit Orb!
The Kuh Takkar Shrine, or Melting Ice Hazard, is one of six shrines in the Gerudo Tower region. The other shrines are the Sasa Kai Shrine or A Moderate Test of Strength, the Sho Dantu Shrine or the Two Bombs, the Joloo Nah Shrine or the Joloo Nah Apparatus, the Kema Kosassa Shrine or A Major Test of Strength, and the Keeha Yoog Shrine or the Keeha Yoog’s Blessing.