One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Rota Ooh Shrine or the Passing of the Gates. This shrine requires Link to manipulate a switch that rotates a shrine section to reach the altar. This shrine may seem confusing and intimidating, but in this guide, you will learn how to complete the Rota Ooh Shrine, get the chests, and claim the Spirit Orb.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link will get a total of 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Rota Ooh Shrine can be found at the top of a hill behind the Outskirt Stable, northwest of the Great Plateau region. The area where you can find the shrine is just southwest of the Hyrule field, just before you reach the Digdogg Suspension Bridge. The Rota Ooh Shrine is one of eight shrines in the Central Tower region of Hyrule.
Passing of the Gates
Before descending on the shrine, make sure that Link has enough Bows and Arrows to use as it would be needed to make this shrine easier to complete.
Upon entering the Rota Ooh Shrine, you will see a big gate in front of Link with the entrance closed and locked, pools of water on the left and right side, and a switch on the right side of the gate. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- First, go near the switch on the right side of the gate and shoot an arrow (or, if you want to save arrows, use the Remote Bomb Rune ability to throw a Remote Bomb and detonate it immediately after) on the switch to rotate the whole gate forwards. After it rotates, you will see the glowing orb that was hidden in the middle of the gate and just beyond it is a passageway.
- Then, go to the other end of the rotated gate (the leftmost end of the gate) and there you will see another opening. Go through it and you will see a chest. Open the chest to obtain a Small Key.
- Next, go back to the rightmost end of the gate where the switch will now be located at the top of the gate. Shoot another arrow at the switch to rotate the whole gate back to its original position.
- After that, go to the locked entryway in the middle of the gate and open it (thanks to the Small Key that was obtained from the chest earlier).
- After the gate has been opened, you will see the glowing orb. Pick up the glowing orb and throw it to the rectangular basket thing that is part of the gate on the right of the opened entryway and before the switch.
- Then, shoot an arrow (or throw a remote bomb and quickly detonate it) on the switch to rotate the whole gate again so that the glowing orb will fall on the glowing socket just on the other side of the gate.
- After it is done successfully, the ground under where the glowing orb was initially found will repeatedly rise up really fast then go back down after a while. Get on top of it while it is still on ground level and face the north of the shrine. Then, the rising of the floor will throw Link up in the air. At the peak of the jump, quickly press the X button to use the paraglider and glide towards a chest at the top of a metal platform at the northern part of the shrine. Open the chest to obtain a Feathered Edge.
- Drop down the platform and get on the rising part of the floor again but this time face the east of the shrine. Then, in midair, after the rising floor throws Link up in the air, quickly press the ZR button to aim Link’s bow and arrow and enter a slow motion state. Shoot an arrow on the switch again to rotate the gate back to its original state while Link is midair. Alternatively, if you do not have enough or are trying to save some arrows (or if you just do not want to do that very cool stunt), first get on the rising part of the floor again and land on the top of the gate once it throws you up in the air. Then, ready a Remote Bomb and place it as near to the switch as possible. After that, drop down from the gate and get on the rising part of the floor again. At the peak of Link’s jump, quickly detonate the Remote Bomb to toggle the switch and rotate the gate back to its original state.
- Next, while on top of the gate, head to the west of the shrine where you will find a passageway to the altar.
- Finally, go to the altar, talk to the monk, and claim your Spirit Orb.
The Rota Ooh Shrine or the Passing of the Gates is one of eight shrines in the Central Tower region. The other shrines are the Dah Kaso Shrine or A Minor Test in Strength, the Wahgo Katta Shrine or the Metal Connections, the Kaam Ya’tak Shrine or the Trial of Power, the Katah Chuki Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength, the Noya Neha Shrine or A Minor Test Of Strength, the Saas Ko’sah Shrine or A Major Test of Strength, and the Namika Ozz Shrine or A Modest Test of Strength.