One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Rucco Maag Shrine or the Five Flames. This shrine requires Link to activate switches to light up all of the five flames on the large floating cube in the middle of the area. Completing this shrine may seem confusing and complicated but in this guide, we’ll teach you how to complete it along with getting the chests.
Link will receive Spirit Orbs after completing Shrines. These Spirit Orbs can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are a total of 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link will be able to get a total of 120 Spirit Orbs.
The Rucco Maag Shrine or the Five Flames can be found just east of where Divine Beast Vah Ruta is located just after the Rutala River (northeast of Samala Plain, south of Ruto Mountain, or West of the Lanayru Great Spring).
Upon entering the Shrine, you will immediately see the altar of the monk to get your Spirit Orb but with the entrance still closed. On the right, just before the altar, is a floating cube with three switches and in front of it is a larger floating cube and two pillars with torches you need to light up on fire. The goal is to successfully light on fire all five torches. Additionally, to get the chests, make sure you have a bow and some arrows on hand.
To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Hit the bottom switch first to spin the cubes backwards. You will see that the torch closest to you is already lit on fire.
- After that the switches’ positions will be on the front, right, and back. Hit the switch on the back to spin the cubes to the left. After that, Wait for the torch that is on fire to light up the torch on the pillar on the left.
- Then, the switches’ positions will be on the left, back, and right. Hit the switch on the left (the switch you previously hit) to spin the cubes one more time to the left. After that, Wait for the torch on the pillar on the left to light up the torch on the cube.
- Next, the positions of the switches will be on the front, left, and back. Hit the switch on the left to spin the cubes clockwise. Again, wait for the torch on the left pillar to light up the pillar on the cube.
- After that, the positions of the switches will be on the front, top, and back. Hit the switch on the back to spin the cubes to the right.
- The positions of the switches will be on the left, top, and right. Hit the switch on the right to spin the cubes again to the right. Then, wait for the flame from the torch on the right side of the large cube to light the torch on the right pillar.
- After that, you have successfully lit up the titular five flames and the gate to the altar will open!
- Do not go inside to the altar yet! To get the chest on the right, which you can see all the way back behind the cubes and the right pillar, aim and fire on the wooden platform that is holding the chest with a fire arrow. The fire arrow will set the platform on fire and the chest will fall and be on your reach. If you don’t have a fire arrow, however, you can ready your bow and aim (from near the cube with the switches) on the chest with it being in the middle of the torch on the right pillar and the torch on the right side of the cube. This is so that when Link fires it, the arrow will pass through the lit torches and set the arrow on fire (turning it into a fire arrow) and cause the wooden platform that is holding the chest to burn and drop the chest.. After that, go to the chest and claim a Silver Bow.
- To get the chest on the left, do the same thing: fire a fire arrow on the platform to burn it and drop the chest or, aiming from near the small cube, fire a normal arrow while aiming near the lit torch on the left pillar to turn it into a fire arrow and burn the platform to drop the chest. After that, go to the chest and claim an Opal.
- You can now proceed to the altar, talk to the monk, and claim your Spirit Orb!
As mentioned above, the Rucco Maag Shrine or the Five Flames is one of the nine shrines in the Lanayru Tower region. The other shrines are the Kaya Wan Shrine or the Shields From Water, Sheh Rata Shrine or the Speed of Light, Soh Kofi Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength, Dagah Keek Shrine or Dagah Keek’s Blessing, Ne’ez Yohma Shrine or the Pushing Power, Daka Tuss Shrine or the Sunken Scoop, Shai Yota Shrine or Shai Yota’s Blessing, and the Kah Mael Shrine or the Drop and Rise.