One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Sheh Rata Shrine or the Speed of Light. This shrine requires Link to manipulate a laser and the depth of the water to traverse through the shrine. This shrine may get a little confusing, but you will learn how to complete the Sheh Rata Shrine and get the chests in this guide.
Link will gain Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link can get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Sheh Rata Shrine, or the Speed of Light, is located on a small island northwest of Mercay Island in the Lanayru Wetlands (can also be found east of Crenel Peak or southwest of Zela Pond). The Sheh Rata Shrine is one of nine shrines in the Lanayru Tower region.
The small island is surrounded by spikes, preventing Link from entering the shrine by swimming and walking. There are two ways to access the shrine: Link can either go a good height up Crenel Peak, then jump and glide towards the shrine and above the spikes (make sure you have enough stamina or food that replenishes stamina); or use Revali’s Gale (if you have already obtained it for defeating Windblight Ganon and calming Divine Beast Vah Medoh) near the shrine, glide above the spikes, and land on the shrine entrance.
Speed of Light
Before descending on the Sheh Rata Shrine, make sure that Link has a bow and a few arrows equipped and that he already has the Remote Bomb Rune ability and the Cryonis Rune ability.
Upon entering Sheh Rata Shrine, you will see that Link is on top of a platform in a big room with a few pillars in the middle, one of them emitting a line of laser, a shallow pool of water, and on the left side of the platform is a spiked wheel. There is also a switch on the right side of the room on top of a platform. You can also find the Monk and the altar to claim your Spirit Orb in the room’s northeast corner. To complete this shrine and obtain the chests, this is what Link must do:
- First, drop down on the right side to find a chest and obtain an Opal.
- Next, go back up the platform by dropping down and going up the ramp in the front of the platform. Then, turn the wheel even just a quarter of the way counter–clockwise. This will cause the pillar with the laser to rotate around the pillar behind it.
- While the pillar is rotating, the laser will hit a switch which will cause the water to rise.
- Use the Cryonis Rune ability to create ice blocks, traverse above the water, and go near the switch on the right side of the shrine. After that, press the up directional button and select the Cryonis Rune ability. Once near the switch, press the directional button again and select the Remote Bomb Rune ability. Ready a Remote Bomb, preferably the cube-shaped Remote Bomb, so it will not roll off, and then throw it near the switch. Do not detonate it yet.
- Then, use the Cryonis Rune ability again to traverse above the water and go up the pillar with the laser. Do not worry about creating an ice block in front of the laser, as it will not break or do anything to the ice block.
- Once Link is on top of the pillar with the laser, aim and fires an arrow on the switch to drain the water out.
- Then, jump and glide towards the entrance near the altar. Be careful not to fall, as you will need to hit the switch again to raise the water level so Link can go up the pillar with the laser again for another try.
- After the entrance, you will find Link on a platform with a metal barrel in front of him, a switch on the floor on the left, and the gated entrance to the altar on the right. Pick up the metal barrel and put it on the switch on the floor. After that, the entrance to the altar will be opened.
- Then, go inside the altar entrance, but before talking to the Monk to claim your Spirit Orb, go to the right side of the altar, and you will see a chest at the top of an elevated platform. Press the up directional button and select the blinking Remote Bomb Rune ability to reach the chest. The blinking means you have a Remote Bomb that is yet to be detonated. Then, finally, press the L button to detonate the Remote Bomb you put earlier to activate the switch and raise the water level again, create an ice block on the water near the platform using the Cryonis Rune ability, climb up the ice block and jump to the platform with the chest and obtain a Giant Boomerang.
- After that, jump down, go to the altar, talk to the Monk, and claim your Spirit Orb!
The Sheh Rata Shrine, or the Speed of Light, is one of the nine shrines in the Lanayru Tower region. The other shrines are the Rucco Maag Shrine or the Five Flames, Kaya Wan Shrine or the Shields From Water, Soh Kofi Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength, Dagah Keek Shrine or Dagah Keek’s Blessing, Ne’ez Yohma Shrine or the Pushing Power, Daka Tuss Shrine or the Sunken Scoop, Shai Yota Shrine or Shai Yota’s Blessing, and the Kah Mael Shrine or the Drop and Rise.