One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Soh Kofi Shrine or A Minor Test in Strength. This shrine requires Link to, as the title of the shrine suggests, prove his strength by killing a Guardian Scout and complete the shrine. This shrine may seem a little intimidating but in this guide, you’ll learn how to complete the Soh Kofi Shrine and how to get the chest.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are a total of 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link will be able to get a total of 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Soh Kofi Shrine or A Minor Test in Strength is located north of the Lanayru Tower just right before Inogo Bridge if you are going to Zora’s Domain. The shrine can be seen from the top of Lanayru Tower. The Soh Kofi Shrine is one of nine shrines in the Lanayru Tower region.
A Minor Test in Strength
Before descending to the Soh Kofi Shrine, make sure that Link has enough weapons, shields, bows, arrows, and food for health (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering Soh Kofi Shrine, you will see an entrance to a very big room just ahead of Link. In this big room are big concrete pillars. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance and after going through the door, a gate will close behind Link and a Guardian Scout will emerge from the ground. This Guardian Scout will be armed with a sword and a shield.
- Next you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with slow attacks. It will use its shield to deflect Link’s attacks then a slow slice with its sword which you’ll know because it will wind up. You can simply dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. When it charges towards Link, hide behind a pillar so that it will hit the pillar which will cause the Guardian Scout to be stunned which will then be an opportunity to deal damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers which can be dodged by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up in the air. Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you don’t want to do that, you can simply stand out of the laser’s range then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and will start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (just like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts towards its target which can inflict major damage. To evade this, simply sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodge the blasts or you can fire arrows on its eyes again to cancel the attack by stunning it and deal some damage. You can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its weapons, a Guardian Sword and a Guardian Shield, for the taking along with a couple of Ancient Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Knight’s Bow.
- Then, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb.
As mentioned above, the Soh Kofi Shrine or A Minor Test in Strength is one of the nine shrines in the Lanayru Tower region. The other shrines are the Rucco Maag Shrine or the Five Flames, Kaya Wan Shrine or the Shields From Water, Sheh Rata Shrine or the Speed of Light, Dagah Keek Shrine or Dagah Keek’s Blessing, Ne’ez Yohma Shrine or the Pushing Power, Daka Tuss Shrine or the Sunken Scoop, Shai Yota Shrine or Shai Yota’s Blessing, and the Kah Mael Shrine or the Drop and Rise.