One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine or A Major Test of Strength. As the title of the shrine suggests, this shrine requires Link to prove his strength by defeating a Guardian Scout and completing the shrine. This shrine may seem a little intimidating, but it is the same as the other test of strength shrine with just the difference of a stronger Guardian Scout. However, before Link can access the shrine, Link would have to complete The Spring of Power Shrine Quest to reveal the shrine. In this guide, you will learn how to complete the Spring of Power Shrine Quest to access the shrine, defeat the Guardian Scout to complete the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine, get the chest, and claim the Spirit Orb!
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link can get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
As mentioned above, Link would not be able to access the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine immediately. Still, it will appear behind a wall in the Spring of Power north of Ordorac Quarry north of the Akkala Highlands (the shrine is found west of the East Akkala Stable and the Katosa Aug Shrine south of the North Akkala Valley). The Tutsuwa Nima Shrine is one of eight shrines in the Akkala Tower region.
The Spring of Power
To start this Shrine Quest, head to the East Akkala Stable, and seated by the cooking pot and fire, you will find a girl named Nobo. Talk to her then. After she introduces herself and asks Link if there is something he wants to know, select the “This area?” option on the prompt. After that, she will mention that Link will find a sacred place called the Spring of Power if you head west from the stable. She will then mention the legend that says:
“Offer the sacred article to the Spring of Power.”
Then, she will say that maybe it was part of a ritual the princess of Hyrule Castle used to perform. Then, after leaving the conversation with Nobo, The Spring of Power Shrine Quest has started!
The sacred article that the legend refers to is a Dinraal’s Scale which can be obtained from a large, long, and fire-filled dragon named Dinraal.
Dinraal is one of three Dragons that roam the Kingdom of Hyrule (with the others being Farosh and Naydra). Dinraal can usually pass through the northern side of the Eldin region to the north of the Great Hyrule Forest and along Tanagar Canyon in the Tabantha Frontier.
Although it looks quite intimidating, Dinraal will not actively try to attack or harm Link. If Link gets too close to Dinraal, however, it is possible that Link will take damage from the fire emanating from Dinraal’s body. Dinraal will drop different items, depending on what part of Dinraal is hit. If Link shoots it with an arrow: it will drop a Shard of Dinraal’s Horn if hit on the head, Shard of Dinraal’s Fang if hit on the mouth, Dinraal’s Claw if hit on the hands or Dinraal’s Scale if hit on the body.
The closest location from the Spring of Power that Dinraal can be found in northwesternmost of the Eldin Region, just north of the Eldin Mountains. Head to this location (Link can fast travel to the Gorae Torr Shrine on top of Gut Check Rock, north of Death Mountain, then head west) and go to the East Deplian Badlands.
Dinraal is nowhere in sight. There is no guaranteed time that Dinraal will spawn in the area (the only guarantee is that it will only spawn in the area once per day), so if you arrive at the area. You can let time pass by setting up a fire (drop Wood and Flint on the ground, then strike with a metallic weapon), then wait until morning or night as Dinraal may appear at around 8 AM or 9 PM.
Once Dinraal appears, it will start descending from the sky towards the Eldin Great Skeleton and then pass by the East Deplian Badlands and the Deplian Badlands at a low altitude. Once it is passing by the East Deplian Badlands, shoot an arrow on its body as the item needed is Dinraal’s Scale (Link can shoot from the ground or jump and glide using the updrafts surrounding Dinraal, then take advantage of the slow-motion once Link aims his bow and arrow mid-air but be careful not to get too close). Then, the part where you hit Dinraal will glow and fall to the ground. Go towards the glowing object to obtain the Dinraal’s Scale.
After obtaining Dinraal’s Scale, head to the Spring of Power by fast traveling to Katosa Aug Shrine near the East Akkala Stable and head west. Be careful around the Ordorac Quarry as several Guardian Skywatchers patrol the area. Upon arriving in the Spring of Power, go near the glowing Goddess Statue and press the A button to pray on it.
Then, a voice will start talking to Link, saying that he has done well in finding this spring and now has to offer a Dinraal’s Scale received from the red spirit (Dinraal) to the Spring of Power. Press the + button to Link’s Inventory and find and select the Dinraal’s Scale. On the prompt, select “Hold,” press the B button to return to the game, aim at the water near the Goddess statue, then press the A button to drop it.
Once the Dinraal’s Scale is in the Spring of Power, the Dinraal’s Scale will start to glow than an entryway will be opened behind the Goddess Statue and reveal the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine!
A Major Test of Strength
Before descending to the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine, Link has enough weapons (especially Guardian weapons as they are very effective against Guardians), shields, bows, arrows, and food for health (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering the Tutsuwa Nima Shrine, you will see an entrance to a very big room just ahead of Link, and the whole floor is filled with water. To complete this shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance, and after going through the door, a Guardian Scout will emerge on the ground after the gate closes behind Link. This Guardian Scout is armed with a sword, a spear, and a shield.
- Now you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with stabs with its spear and attacks with its sword, which you will know because it will wind up. You can dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush to inflict major damage. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers, but this can be evaded by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. Before it charges towards Link, quickly press the up directional button, select the Cryonis Rune ability, press the L button to aim, aim a small distance away from Link, and press the A button to activate and create an ice block. Ensure that the ice block is in Link and the Guardian Scout.
- Then, when it spins towards Link and hits the ice block, there may be two possibilities: the Guardian Scout will be stunned and will be an opportunity to deal damage or the Guardian Scout will hit and destroy the ice block but will not be stunned. This, however, will decrease the speed that the Guardian Scout is spinning towards Link and will be an opportunity to dodge.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up. Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you do not want to do that, you can stand out of the laser’s range, then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts toward its target, which can inflict major damage. To evade this, sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodging the blasts, or you can fire arrows at its eyes and deal some damage. It is worth mentioning that you can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its Guardian Sword++, Guardian Spear++, Guardian Shield++ for the taking, and a couple of Ancient Shafts and Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar, where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Flamespear.
- Finally, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb!
The Tutsuwa Nima Shrine, or A Major Test of Strength, is one of eight shrines in the Akkala Tower region. The other shrines are the Katosa Aug Shrine or the Katosa Aug Apparatus, the Ze Kasho Shrine or the Ze Kasho Apparatus, the Dah Hesho Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength, the Ke’nai Shakah shrine or A Modest Test of Strength, the Zuna Kai Shrine or Zuna Kai’s Blessing, the Tu Ka’loh shrine or Tu Ka’loh’s Blessing, and the Ritaag Zumo shrine or Ritaag Zumo’s Blessing.