One of the Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the Shoqa Tatone Shrine or A Modest Test of Strength. This Shrine requires Link to, as the title of the Shrine suggests, prove his strength by killing a Guardian Scout and completing the Shrine. However, before Link can access the Shrine, he must first complete the Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest. In this guide, you will learn how to complete the Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest complete the Shoqa Tatone Shrine, obtain the chest inside, and claim a Spirit Orb.
Link will be rewarded with Spirit Orbs for completing Shrines. The Spirit Orbs obtained can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. As there are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, Link will get 120 Spirit Orbs. You get to decide whether you want Link to have more Hearts or more Stamina.
The Shoqa Tatone Shrine can be found just by the beach at the south of Hyrule near Puffer Beach, east of Laverra Beach, and south of Lake Hylia. You can also find the Shrine if you follow the river south of Lake Tower to the ocean. The Shoqa Tatone Shrine is one of six shrines in the Lake Tower region.
However, as mentioned above, Link must first complete the Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest before accessing the Shoqa Tatone Shrine.
Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest
The player can unlock the Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest by going to the location above where the Shrine will appear. Upon arriving at the east of Puffer Beach, which is at the south of Hyrule, you will see a glowing platform with a socket for a glowing orb, and you will see the glowing orb in possession of a girl named Loone.
Upon talking to Loone, you will notice that she might have gone Cucco as she seems like she has become obsessed with the glowing orb and has named it Roscoe. As she thinks that Link wants to get the glowing orb (which is correct as we need that glowing orb for Shoqa Tatone Shrine to appear), Loone will still talk to Roscoe about the glowing orb and is telling it that she will never let it go. Eventually, however, she will mention that she wants to see Guardians: flying ones, small ones, and those that walk around – not those who have died and decayed but real and living Guardians. Finally, she will mention that she will let Roscoe the glowing orb if her wishes are fulfilled.
To complete the Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest, Link would need to use the Camera Rune ability to take pictures of a Guardian Skywatcher (the flying ones), a Guardian Scout (the small ones), and a Guardian Stalker (the ones that walk around).
The Camera Rune ability can be obtained after completing a quest from Purah at the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab in Hateno Village.
Now that you have the Camera Rune ability, it is time to look for some Guardians! You can find some Guardian Skywatchers around the airspace of Hyrule Castle in Central Hyrule. However, as there may be a lot of Guardians there for your liking, you can go to the Quarry Ruins near the Katah Chuki Shrine (north of the Central Tower or southwest of Hyrule Castle), and there you can see a few Guardian Skywatchers along with a few Guardian Stalkers too.
You can find Guardian Scouts from various shrines that have a Guardian Scout inside, like the Keh Namut shrine and Oman Au shrine of the Great Plateau region, the Pumaag Nitae Shrine and Ka’o Makagh Shrine in the Lake Tower region, the Shae Mo’sah shrine, and Shora Hah shrine of the Eldin Tower region, the Dako Tah shrine, Hawa Koth shrine, Jee Noh shrine of the Wasteland Tower region, the Kaya Wan shrine of the Lanayru Tower region, the Maka Rah shrine of the Hebra Tower region, and the Sha Warvo shrine of the Tabantha Tower region,
As for Guardian Stalkers, they are very common throughout Hyrule, but you can find a lot of them all around the Hyrule Field’s Central Tower, around the Central Square just south of Hyrule Castle, and, as mentioned above and probably the easiest, in the Quarry Ruins near Katah Chuki Shrine.
It is important to note that when taking pictures of the Guardians with the Camera Rune ability, a red exclamation point will appear if you have the right shot of the Guardians.
Once you have taken a picture of each Guardian, go back to Loone near Puffer Beach and talk to her to show her the pictures of Guardians that you took. At the end of the interaction with her, she will obsess over Guardians and get over Roscoe, the glowing orb and let go of it. After that, Link can now pick up the orb, put it in the glowing socket, and the Shoqa Tatone Shrine will appear just ahead! Just like that, the Guardian Slideshow Shrine Quest is complete!
A Modest Test in Strength
Before descending to the Shoqa Tatone Shrine, Link has enough weapons, shields, bows, arrows, and health food (cooked or not) to use.
Upon entering Shoqa Tatone Shrine, you will see an entrance to a huge room just ahead of Link. In this big room are giant concrete pillars. To complete this Shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Proceed to the entrance and after going through the door, a gate will close behind Link and a Guardian Scout will emerge from the ground. This Guardian Scout will be armed with a spear and a shield.
- Next you must kill the Guardian Scout. At the beginning of the battle, the Guardian Scout will come towards Link with slow attacks. It will use its shield to deflect Link’s attacks then a slow stab with its spear which you will know because it will wind up. You can simply dodge this attack or dodge at the perfect time to perform a Flurry Rush. The Guardian Scout may also shoot lasers which can be dodged by dodging away or deflected using the shield.
- After taking enough damage, the Guardian Scout will eventually jump back and start spinning rapidly towards Link. When it charges towards Link, hide behind a pillar so that it will hit the pillar which will cause the Guardian Scout to be stunned which will then be an opportunity to deal damage.
- After depleting its health to around half, the Guardian Scout will start to jump back and fire a constant laser in a large arc around it which will inflict damage if Link is hit. Fortunately, the spinning laser will also cause an updraft. You can jump towards the updraft and quickly use the Paraglider to go high up in the air. Once Link is up in the air, aim the bow and arrow to slow down time and fire an arrow on its eye to stun it and deal damage. If you do not want to do that, you can simply stand out of the laser’s range then aim and fire an arrow at the right time to hit the Guardian Scout’s eye and stun it and deal damage (but, come on, that first method is just cooler to do).
- When its health is nearly depleted, the Guardian Scout will turn blue and will start absorbing energy while targeting Link with a red laser (just like Guardian Stalkers and Decayed Guardians). After absorbing enough energy, it will fire several blasts towards its target which can inflict major damage. To evade this, simply sprint or close the distance by running towards it and dodge the blasts or you can fire arrows on its eyes again to cancel the attack by stunning it and deal some damage. You can also attack it while the Guardian Scout is still absorbing energy.
- After defeating it, the Guardian Scout will drop its weapons, a Guardian Spear+ and a Guardian Shield+, for the taking along with a couple of Ancient Gears, Springs, and Screws.
- Continue up ahead towards the altar where you will see a chest just before the altar. Open the chest to obtain a Royal Broadsword.
- Then, continue up the stairs and talk to the monk to claim your Spirit Orb.
The Shoqa Tatone Shrine or A Modest Test of Strength is one of six shrines in the Lake Tower region. The other shrines are the Ka’o Makagh Shrine or the Metal Doors Open the Way, the Ya Naga Shrine or Shatter the Heavens, the Shae Katha Shrine or Shae Katha’s Blessing, the Ishto Soh shrine or the Bravery’s Grasp, and the Pumaag Nitae Shrine or A Minor Test of Strength.